Bristlenose Pleco

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so just a few questions... Firstly how many liter's (or galen's) of water does my Bristle-nose need when he is fully grown? And also what types of fruit and vegetables will he eat?

Thanks
Emily

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think 20 gallons is the minimum, though Badmans tropical fish says 36 inches is the minimum in length that you'd want. See https://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile117.html

As for vegetables, I'll just quote https://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/pleco.php:

Your Bristlenose Catfish will eat algae in the aquarium, but supplementing this diet with other types of food is highly recommended. It is not hard to get your Bristlenose Catfish to eat algae wafers from the fish store. Some Bristlenose Catfish will also nibble on the flake food that you feed your other fishes. Since the Bristlenose Catfish eat plant material in the wild, you can feed it vegetables such as cucumber, zucchini, squash, spinach, peas and green beans.
Not sure about fruit. I've heard of goldies eating fruit, not sure about plecos.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks, I will soon be getting a 80 liter (21 galen) community tank will he be ok in there or does it need to be bigger?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds like it'll be okay.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok thanks for the advice

REDKAHUNA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I breed my dwarf BN in 10 gallon tanks if this is any help.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I breed my reg bns in a 20 g and they do fine

REDKAHUNA said:
I breed my dwarf BN in 10 gallon tanks if this is any help.
never seen a dwarf bn ..do you have pics? how big do they get?

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine are in a 20gallon long and do great.

gabvra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Help!!!

"SUCKER" is NOT doing so well! What can I do to save my Pleco? I have a 20G tank. Sucker is 2 years old or so. He's about 9" long. Yesterday, I found him laying on the bottem of the tank, gasping..... I moved him to see if he was alive. He squirmed.... How can I save him?

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gabvra said:
"SUCKER" is NOT doing so well! What can I do to save my Pleco? I have a 20G tank. Sucker is 2 years old or so. He's about 9" long. Yesterday, I found him laying on the bottem of the tank, gasping..... I moved him to see if he was alive. He squirmed.... How can I save him?
Open a new thread to see if you can get some more answers....

Emily

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads