Bristlenose Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Tman2902, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone I picked up a second hand 90 gallon and stand. The tank came with sand which I was taking out to wash when I found 2 albino BNs (hope that's the right acronym). One had been dead for a while but the other is alive!!! So here are some photos. I have no clue what to do with him... I have my 10 gallon set up now with a couple of fish in it however I don't want to risk this BN brining in disease. Not to mention I am not a fan of plecos. So what are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    -T

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Poor guy! The person didn't tell you there were fish in the tank? Is he not in water? If you can I would get him in a spare tank as quickly as possible, if you could put him in the ten Gallon at least for a little, while you try to find a home for him, (maybe get 50 posts and sell him one fishlore) some one more knowledged will probably come alonge soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Ya I am looking around he currently is in a 5 gallon which is way to small however do to the stress put on the fish from the abandonment I am afraid he may be carrying something or might be(I have no clue since I don't really know catfish). He looks ok however the water I found him in was yellow had the other dead female in and smell was one of the worst things I have ever smelt. I did a massive water change and now its pretty good but still.

Thank you for your concern.
    -T
    Might be the last time I ever get a second hand tank.

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

In the mean time like a slice of fresh zuchinni squash or fresh cucumber, broccoli, spinach,and dark green leafy veggies. Also some shrimp pellets and hikari mini algea wafers. Thy are wonderful fish and he looks like a young male with those bristles starting to grow. A piece of driftwood in his tank for him to rasp on, it aids in their digestion. Alison

5. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Alright I will see what I can find him! Apart form the setup what do you think does he look healthy? Is there anything I should be treating it for?
    And thanks.
    -T

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Personally I would keep the fish and place it in Quarantine for a month. These are beautiful creatures and are a great help to any freshwater aquatic environment. Great little Diatom eaters too. Every aquarium (freshwater) should have some bottom dwellers IMO.

I would not treat the fish unless you know what you are treating for. The fish may be perfectly fine but I would Quarantine to be sure before adding more fish, or before adding this fish to an existing tank.

Best of luck! I hope you keep it!

Ken :)

7. aliray

I agree with Aquarist on all counts. Keep us posted on how he is doing, They are pretty hardy fish for the most part and are really funny to watch. Lots of personality in a compact package. Alison

8. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

I put some lettuce in there for him to munch on. I was hoping to do alot of work on the 90 before setting it up. (The stand needs more work than the tank) I also will be getting him a small terracotta pot to hide in. I have some sand should I put it in there as well?
    Thanks
    -T

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  9. Tiny goatfish

If your not using the sand it'll probably make him less stressed. So the guy didn't tell you there were fish in the tank? Was there any water in the tank or was it dry? If he didn't tell you, you should complain, because that just wronge :/

10. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Nope he did not tell me about the fish. Checked his other add he was selling the pair at 10 bucks for both as a "breeding pair". Guess he just gave up on them. They were in a thin layer of water and sand. Guess I should have moved more of the sand before picking up the tank. Wasn't much but still enough for a little pleco to hide in.
    I just got some terracotta pots for him and a larger plastic bin so he will not be in the little 5 gallon.
    Thanks
    -T

11. Tiny goatfish

Poor little plecos, at least he's in good hands now ;).

12. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Couldn't have said it better my self! He lucked out I was fastidious and emptied out the tank the night I got it God knows what could have happen if not!
    Thanks again.
    -T

13. aliray

When feeding lettuce try to avoid iceburg and use the darker leaf lettuce such as Romain , just because it is higher in vitamins and minerals. Iceburg won't hurt him per say, but use the darker greens. He is going to have a good home with you and I think you will find that they are really neat fish to watch. My ABN is out and about most of the day and because of the light color he doesn't blend in with background like some do. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice