Bristlenose pleco 55 Gallon Tank

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I just added a juvenile bristlenose pleco to my 55 gallon community and was wondering if it is okay to not have driftwood for about 2-4 days or will I need it immediately.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You'll be fine for a couple days. Just make sure he is eating and you're giving algae wafers or something

3. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay will they eat zucchini or cucumbers if you cut a small piece and drop it in at night.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Yup they sure will. I also have really good luck getting mine to eat that "seaweed salad" stuff that pet stores sell. Its made to put in a little clip and hang it on the side of your tank and the fish to pick at it all day. (pretty sure its for saltwater tangs) but its really just algae. All of my fish love it. I usually put in a piece for my fish during the day and I try to drop one in at night for my plecos.

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay tonight I will put a piece of cucumber on the bottom and is it okay to leave in unitil morning then take out anything left

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I've never done it but I hear that's what people usually do. :)

7. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay will try some cucumber tonight but will it do anything to my water if left in over night.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Mine's never had driftwood, so I'm sure yours will be fine until you get some, however long that may be.

9. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Really I thought driftwood was essential for them to digest food or is it just they like to chew on it.

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

In most cases it is, but jaysee has magic tanks where he can basicly do anything he wants and it works :D. Lol, no it can be a part of the diet.

But you can normaly leave the cucumber or zuchini in there until its starts to fungus which in my tanks is around 3-5 days, by which time my clown plec has already demolished the food.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's true, they are magic.

Mine eats NLS thera A, which is easily digested.

12. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Mine just eats algae and wafers. I have a piece of driftwood in a bucket, hopefully it'll go in next weekend. The pleco cleaned the tank super fast, I've had no algae issues since I got him.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Be sure they are getting some meat, they are ominvores.

14. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay so how about cucumbers and some type of meat any suggestions with a type of meat

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

frozen foods or catfish waffers(check content for shrimp/fish meal)

16. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay then and are algae wafers required or can you think of a substitute for them.

17. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Real algae?

I've never had a pleco (I have an adult male BN and what I'm pretty sure is a juvenile BN in my 55 right now and I used to have a clown) or oto eat algae wafers. :;dk

18. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I think I may just wait unitil it eats most of the algae present and then get sine wafers for it then.

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

BNs are realy not huge on algae, granted they will eat it causaly and keep it at bay. They are fans of various veggies, spinach, cucumber, squash, zuchini, etch etch. Of course they also like frozen blood worms and brine shrimp too. One of the things about pleco diet is that variety is good. There arnt too many species of pleco that are soley algae dependent. There are some, like clowns, that are huge on wood. However, providing a combination of veggies, waffers, frozen and pellets is a good idea. I would buy CATFISH waffers as of now, they have meat and veg in them. Your pleco will take no time to eat all the algae in the tank, exspecialy if thats all that they are given.

20. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay I went fishing today and got a live if wood from the lake bottom and took it home and gave been boiling it for an hour is this piece of wood safe and how much longer should I boil it also will get some cucumbers and catfish wafers for the pleco.