Bristlenose Pleco with Swollen Stomach

cuteusagi
HI everybody!!! I recently got a batch of 5 bristlenose plecos (about 1 week ago) for some algae cleanup, and noticed today that one of the smaller ones (about 1 inch) has a huge swollen stomach!!! From other sites that I have read, it could be a parasite or worm or other disease. My husband and I are currently in the process of a water change and are moving the pleco to our quarantine tank.

Suggestions on treatment/further diagnosis? Should we be concerned for any of the other plecos or other fish???

Thanks always!

Chief_waterchanger
I dunno what to diagnose that as, but if it isn't back to normal in a day or so I would medicate the single one and watch for any signs of it in the others for a few days.

Good job!

cuteusagi
Well, I checked on the pleco this morning, and it's the same...still a huge belly (looks like it might explode!!!! the skin looks really stretched) but he's still hanging in there. We'll be going to one of our lfs today, so we'll ask them if there's any medication that might work for him. I hope he makes it...we're almost ready to move all our fish from our 29 gallon to our new 55 gallon!!!!!

We just got it set up last night with a water change, replaced that water with water from the 29, put in decorations and a ton of java fern from the 29, and 4 of the cory cats that we could catch. Hopefully, that'll really cut down on the cycle time.

Thanks again for all your help!

Butterfly
Personally I would fast him for about three days and do a couple of extra water changes. Sounds like he over did it on Algae maybe. The q tank is an excellant idea also.
Carol

Sabi
Well, I checked on the pleco this morning, and it's the same...still a huge belly (looks like it might explode!!!! the skin looks really stretched) but he's still hanging in there. We'll be going to one of our lfs today, so we'll ask them if there's any medication that might work for him.
Is it like really bloated? I had a Chinese Algae Eater who's belly got really big, I mean bloated, huuge, this was over a period of +- 2 weeks. I'm afraid he didn't make it, by the time I found it couldn't be over eating it wa stoo late.
Carols idea of starving him is very good after which if he stays the same you could dose him with medi. just my :

COBettaCouple
Do you have a pic to post? Does he seem less active than the other plecos?

cuteusagi
Unfortunately, I don't have a picture yet. Maybe sometime today I'll be able to get one. He's still in the quarantine, but he seems to be doing a little better. He's still real swollen, but he swims around and acts just like all the other plecos from the 55....I'm just not sure what to do with him!

Butterfly
I would leave him in Quarantine awhile longer. A picture would be great Did you fast him for a few days? If so when you feed him give him only fresh vegetables and see what happens. Is he pooing ?
Carol

cuteusagi
Well, our pleco is doing much better! We fasted him for a while, and his belly went down (finally!) and he is now back in the 55 gallon tank and doing quite well! Thanks for all your help!

COBettaCouple
That's great to hear! ;D

Sabi
Glad to hear it!

cuteusagi
Just a quick update...

Whatever was wrong with our pleco is no longer an issue. He has been in the big tank now for about a week, is eating healthily and is growing so fast (with all the other plecos). He either "overdosed" on some algae as a friend suggested in jest or he had some constipation. Those are the only two things I can think of. He is currently doing quite well with the other 4 plecos.

Is it normal for them to grow this fast?? We haven't had them a month yet, and all 5 plecos are about twice the size as when we got them!!!! They were all pretty small (.5 inch-1 inch) and they have just taken off!!! No signs of bristles yet though....

Butterfly
At that size with plenty of food and lots of clean water they grow amazingly fast. Probably won't see any bristles until their about two inches.
Glad he's doing so well.
Carol

COBettaCouple
Great to hear that he's doing fine.

Sabi
Yep, they grow fast! Glad to hear he is better!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Plecolover4477
Replies
Views
aliray
Top Bottom