Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nothing different just different common names. Thats the problem with using common names. They are scientifically Ancistrus.
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish book I have has two different fish with different scientific names as well. In the little blurb about one it says 'there are several species of BN, all fairly similar. The behavior in an aquarium is identical'. That is why I asked. Mine looks like Ancistrus temminckii.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the scientific name for the other one? I have 3 different kinds of bristlenose. 1) Ancistrus sp3, Ancistrus common, and an unknown Ancistrus (we don't know what kind it is).
carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The other is Ancistrus spp. But I belive mine is the ancistrus temminckii based on the picture because mine has a bit of blue on it's tail fin and the picture of it in the book has a light colored tip on the tail fin as well.
Tom

Toddnbecka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the fish in question is aquarium-bred, chances are it's a hybrid. There are several different species of BN's, but unless the fish was wild-caught, its ancestry is questionable. Check out planetcatfish.com for specific details for a positive ID.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did and I couldn't figure out which was mine. It doesn't really matter now that I think about it. A BN of any species will do the same job of eating algae.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom