- Reaction score
- Melbourne, Victoria
- 1 year
Recently my bristlenose pleco has not been eating. I am suspecting it to be finrot as it's fins are clamped and not 'flowy' like it used to be as well as shorter. It started off as a tiny hole which she has for many months and I thought nothing of it and now it has nearly eaten the two fins. How come the suspected finrot continues despite the fact that I do 50% water changes every other day day? I'm really worried about her as I love her very much. She's in a 55 gallon tank with two discus and a betta at 28 degrees Celsius. I was also wondering if myxazin would be of use to treat her and if I could put her in a 10L QT with a piece of driftwood. Would a 30L QT be more ideal?
Thank you for your input in advance. Hope to hear from you guys soon!
- What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
- Does it have a filter? Yes (fluval 306)
- Does it have a heater? Yes
- What is the water temperature? 28 degrees Celsius
- What is the entire stocking of this tank? bettta fish, albino bristlenose pleco 2 discus ( I'm aware that this could cause issues and am currently getting a custom built tank to hold more)
- How often do you change the water? Every other day
- How much of the water do you change? 50%
- What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime
- Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Bare bottom tank
- Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes (using old media)
- What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit for freshwater
- What are your parameters?
Nitrate: ~0 (planted tank)
- How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
- How much do you feed your fish? Half a pellet in the morning and in the afternoon with black worms for betta, blanched zucchinI for pleco, and beef heart and freeze dried black worms for discus
- What brand of food do you feed your fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.
- Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes, freeze dried black worms
Illness & Symptoms:
- How long have you had this fish? ~9 months
- How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3-4 days
- In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms? Laying at the bottom motionless even when I poke it and not eating anything.
- Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
- Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
- How has its behaviour changed? Lethargic, not eating.