BristleNose Pleco poop

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by bmusgrove, Jul 27, 2015.

1. b

bmusgrove New Member Member

Changed my tank from gravel to black sand about 2 months ago. In the last week I have suddenly started seeing what looks like small worms all over the tank. As I have seen similar hanging out of the BristleNose Pleco's rear I assume it is his poop, and they are known for this, BUT I swear I have not seen it in the aquarium before 3 days ago. Now it looks like a fecal or worm explosion. Cleaned the tank yesterday and it looks like I haven't ever cleaned it.
    Just wanted to verify that is what his feces looks like.

IMG_0253.jpg

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would say yes and use a turkey baster tu suck up the poop. It is a pleco's owner's best friend. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    b

If its needed, its a 36 gallon Aqueon bow front with Several tetras. Cardinal, Black Neon, Lowlight and Serpae, plus the Bristlenose Pleco

4. OP
    OP
    b

Hmm Didn't think of that. I was using either the EHEIM Quick Vac or the siphon cleaner I use to change water. Both are a pain to keep from sucking up the sand.

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You could also try a small fine meshed fish net If the turkey baster doesn't work. Also ghost shrimp seem to help by by breaking it into smaller pieces while foraging for food and mine seem to eat some of it. I have a pleco and a few ghost shrimp in each of my tanks. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice