Bristlenose Pleco - New Tank Question

1. johnt11 Member Member

I have just cycled a tank and had a considerable amount of algae in there which I believe were due to the nitrates during cycling.

I have since added fish including a BNP and he is rattling through the algae at an alarming rate. This is good for getting rid of the algae but the amount of poop he is producing is incredible. Needs cleaning up at least every 24hrs or the tank looks awful.

My question is will the amount of poop created die down once there is less/no algae or will this problem continue?

If it going to continue I think I am going to have to keep him in another tank and just bring him out into the big tank in algae emergencies.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

BN plecos need to be fed other foods besides algae anyway so poop is just something you're going to have to get used to I'm afraid. Plecos are known for it! Even if you got something better suited for algae control like a nerite snail you're still going to have to deal with poop. What goes in must come out ;)

3. johnt11 Member Member

I can cope with some poop but this is out of control.

What I am really asking is whether after his almost unlimited supply of algae is gone will the amount of poop die down?

I understand I need to feed him all sorts but once the algae is gone I will have some control over that.

4. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately BN are poop machines I heavily plant my tanks this tends to hide a lot of it

5. johnt11 Member Member

Oh well. Might just bring him out in emergencies!

6. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I'm getting a BNP soon, and my tank doesn't get much algae, but a bit up on the plants under the light.
    The pleco is being purchased for the compassion, and enjoyment of it, not primarily for algae cleaning.

7. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

BN would prefer to eat most other things besides algae

8. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Yes, they aren't just algae eaters. I'll feed mine Shrimp Pellets, Algae Wafers, Cucumbers, Zucchini, and more vegetables.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Your forgetting the protein part of this omnivore's diet.

I keep 7 BN's and never see any poop.
    Are the shrimps takijg care of that or do I have PBN's (Poopless BN's)

10. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I never see my BN's poop except when it is coming out.

11. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

It will die down. My pleco did the same thing, 2" guy polished off the back of a 45 in 2 days. I have loaches so he still had shrimp pellets and flakes and everything i feed my other fish but he just went nuts

But yeah, plecos are poop machines.

12. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

My BN and clown pleco poop like machines , I feed them deferent foods and they just poop,poop and poop. I have to vaccum my sand more often then once a week in this tank because theres so much it's very noticeable, but none the less great fish and interesting to watch.

13. Manjit Member Member

for bnp i would recommend a cup filter system... and an aquarium with very little substrate.... so that everything gets sucked up in the filter easily....

14. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I'm struggling to get my BN to eat anything but algae. I give him algae wafers, vegetables, frozen foods and shrimp pellets but I don't think he eats them :( He's always eating algae though.

15. Manjit Member Member

Ler it finish those first

16. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Mine went crazy for zucchini I wouldn't even make it sink I would chop up 2 full zucchini into 4 Strips each and throw them in and they would come out swim straight to the top and grab one between them and my severums I would go through 6-8 zucchini a week (5 severums and about 7 BN).

They would also devour any frozen food or cichlid pellets