Bristlenose Pleco Minimum Tank + more? Question

1. escapay Well Known Member Member

I did a search and it didn't seem to come up with anything... so apologies if there was a post that answers this.

What is a good or minimum size for a full grown BN Pleco?

Would they be okay with Kuhli Loaches? What would the BN Pleco do if I dropped a couple shrimp pellets in as well as an algae wafer? (the shrimp pellets are supposed to be for the Kuhlis)

I'm considering getting a BN Pleco but questioning their relationship with the Kuhli Loach and whether they will be okay with mopani driftwood for the driftwood eating. (I believe I read earlier that they like the other wood better... but all I've got is mopani at this time)

Other fish planned in this tank include possibly Ember Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, Celestial Pearl Danio, and Kuhli Loaches.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

A 20 long is the minimum if you were up to being diligent about water changes as it gets bigger. Other wise, a 29 will be fine :)

I find my BN to be food aggressive. Nobody gets near her food with out putting up a huge effort, and having ninja dodging skillz. Even still, they get chased off pretty quick. But, if you were to put multiple pieces of food in there, as well as hiding places, I think it'd be fine.

3. escapay Well Known Member Member

Re: Minimum Tank + more?

The tank the BN would be put in is a 36 gallon bowfront. The Kuhlis would be introduced into the tank as the second species of fish, behind the CPDs.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That should be fine, I would think. But, I don't have experience with any kinds of Loaches, so I could be wrong. I just know that my BN has a bit of an attitude some times, when I comes to smaller fish trying to get at her food, but is otherwise well mannered :)

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My BN doesn't bother other fish, except the rubberlip pleco on occasion. But it's in a 90. It does fine with kuhli loaches. It can be very difficult to make sure specific fish eat specific foods. I never have any feeding issues because I feed smaller pellets. There is no food aggression because it's scattered all over the bottom of the tank. When you feed large foods like shrimp pellets and algae wafers, you tend to get more aggression because the food is concentrated in one place. It's far easier to claim one of those than 50 little pellets :) That's how I manage to keep all the fish in the 90 fed.

For the fish you want to keep, I would get a 29.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ninja only gets a bit aggressive when there are 6 crazy Cherry Barbs ganging up on her, trying to her algae wafer LOL Kind of like that tourists that takes their lunch to the beach :;laughing

7. escapay Well Known Member Member

Jaysee - Get a 29 gallon instead of a 36 gallon bowfront? Or the 29 gal be the minimum?

I'll have to look into different pellets. I'm about done with the shrimp pellets anyway, so it will be time to buy more choices. :D

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would select the 36g bow front of the 29g tank.

Ken

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

hahaha, took me to long to post - the 36 gallons hadn't been established at the time :)

10. escapay Well Known Member Member

It confused me why the 29 gallon was mentioned instead of the 36 gal... so thank you for clarifying!

In the next couple of months, the 29 gallon is shutting down and will be transported to my aunt (an upgrade for her fancy goldfish), and the 36 gallon will get most everything from the 29 gallon (except water and some of the gravel, and I guess the plastic plants likely won't transfer to the bigger tank).