Bristlenose Pleco Male/female Ratio

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Adrianem99, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Adrianem99Valued MemberMember

I have 3 albino bn pleco and they’re all female (about 3 in long ea) . I really want to breed them and I’ve done some research . But I remember hearing sketching about keeping the ratio of 2 male : 1 female because of the males health during the breeding period . And others saying to just have 1 male but would that too stress him out if there’s more than 1 female or what would be the appropriate ratio . Or any tips are appreciated thank you

Attached Files:

2. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

I think @angelcraze had 2 females and 1 male in a tank together. I don't think 2 males together is a good idea, I have heard that they will fight.

3. Adrianem99Valued MemberMember

Thank you and yes I heard that too but i remember seeing a video from an experienced pleco breeder talking about how the female would be good between both males going back and forth rather than the other way around but I can’t seem to find the vid again

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

The reason people use 2 males is because females of certain species can breed the males to death. I’m not certain if this is true with BN’s though. @Mcasella breeds them so perhaps she’ll have some input.

5. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

A single male to a single female is a good idea as most females take 2-4 weeks to recover from laying eggs to spawn again, giving the male time to hatch and kick out most offspring and get something to eat. I have multiple males and females, but that ranges from juveniles up to proven adults.
    Some females will not breed regularly. Some females will spawn early and recover faster.
    The easiest thing is going to be setting up a breeding tank with the male and drop the female in that you want to breed and remove her after she has spawned to allow the male to raise and care for the babies uninterrupted.
    My particular fish don't seem to have issue but I have regular spawns and the main breeding males are healthy and active (they often will refuse to allow a female in their cave if they feel she will harm the current spawn).

6. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I do have two females and one male in my 90g. They've been around for 4/5 years now and I still see some babies survive in tank. Now that I've had them for about 5 years, I agree, the male is almost always guarding his cave. I have to put one algae wafer in his cave so the other fish don't get it and two halves of wafer on the other side for the females. I really have to make sure he gets enough food, but so far he's been ok. And I've seen him flick unfamiliar veggies right out his cave door. They are incredible daddies.

Personally I can't keep two males together. They've always fought and my original daddy pleco killed one of the male youngsters when I first had them. Now I know I have to rehome the babies before they mature.

I asked the pros at one point if I could keep more females and he said it would stress out the male. So there's def something to what you read.

7. Adrianem99Valued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon sponge filter . It’s my grow out tank for my guppy and ghost shrimp . Do you think that would be good? Also would it matter who I add first make or female?

8. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

It would need to be larger as this will also be your baby bn growout tank, not just a tank for the male.

9. Adrianem99Valued MemberMember

I would transfer the baby’s to a 50 gallon once I get rid of the big common pleco I have in there

10. SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Could you give us a little more info on your current tanks? Where are the females? You could keep the male in a ten gallon by himself if you do frequent water changes (several times a week would probably be fine but you might need more or less just monitor parameters) and maybe add another filter. You wouldn't want a lot of guppies in there with him unless you really monitor the parameters. Shrimp and guppies shouldn't bother him or babies it's just a matter of bioload for the tank.
    Another option is putting the male with your females if the tank is big enough and letting him breed when he wants. Watch the tank closely and if he keeps breeding none stop and needs a break remove any breeding caves. He may still breed on other tank decorations or even just a corner somewhere and if he does you will need to remove him from the females and put him in the 10 gallon or another tank. Putting him in the 55 with the fry that are growing out is one option assuming there aren't any adult females. You may also need to remove the caves or male if you end up with more fry then you want to raise or then you can rehome/ sell.

11. Adrianem99Valued MemberMember

The females were in my 30 gallon community tank . I transferred 1 female and the recently bought male who’s only 1 inch bigger than her to my 50 added pvc caves today there’s only platys in there with them and a 1 inch clown pleco . The 10 y’all hasba 40 gal sponge filter I think either that or it’s a 20 . The 30 has a 40 gal sponge filter and the 50 has a 60 gal HAB. But in the 10 gal I have my guppy fry and ghost shrimp baby’s as recently added some baby bn pleco About an inch. So prob can’t ad anything in there water is clear though in all my tanks doing 2 water changes a week now a 50% and a 10% . All my parameters have been good for months I’ve had my 20gal set up for 3-4 years now and my 30 for a year and 10 for 9 months and 50 gal for 2-3 weeks but with 16 y’all from established and added quick start and stress coat to accommodate for the rest (had to be emergency set up due to fish that came with it ) this is how I set up the caves today .

Attached Files: