Bristlenose Pleco Likes To Hide

diddakoi
HI everyone,

I've had a bristlenose in my tank for about a week now, and find he likes to hide A LOT. As a new fish hobbyist (sorta, had fish when I was younger) I get paranoid about EVERYTHING really easily.

My wee pleco is still a baby, maybe 2cm ish long and I can almost never find him. Today while upgrading the filter, I found he had made his way inside the filter chamber and was having a merry time swishing around the filter media sponge. He wasn't fussed when I ushered him out into the tank - he's the most blaze fish I've ever had - and carried on his merry way. God knows where he is now.

So I was wondering, is this typical of bristlenose plecos? I don't think my tank is overstocked and there's enough decorations for him to hide in normal place, but he seems to prefer to hang out by the filter.

Also, would love to know where you've found your fish hiding

Tank details:
Size: 60L
Stock: 10 neon tetra, 4 lyretail mollies, 1 bristlenose pleco
Parameters: pH around 7.2 max, Ammonia around 3.0ppm (doing regular water changes and conditioning the water to bring down to 0), Nitriate and Nitrate both 0ppm.

Lunnietic
Plecos need at least 120 litres. You seem to be overstocked. The tank size you have is okay for just the neon tetras alone...

Is there a way you can upgrade? I recommend putting panty hose over the intake of the filter so the pleco cannot get in there again. They can get to be 5 inches long. Roughly 13 centimeters.

diddakoi
Plecos need at least 120 litres. You seem to be overstocked. The tank size you have is okay for just the neon tetras alone...

Is there a way you can upgrade? I recommend putting panty hose over the intake of the filter so the pleco cannot get in there again. They can get to be 5 inches long. Roughly 13 centimeters.

I don't quite have the space for a 120L tank at this stage, it wasn't until after I had picked up the pleco that I realised how much space they needed. It is definitely on my list and will endeavour to do this when I have the space and when he starts to grow.

My new filter is a bit stronger (the old one came second hand and didn't seem to have much oomph to it) so he shouldn't be able to wiggle into it, but I will keep an eye on it and do the pantie hose trick if he gets in again.

JB92668
my male bristlenose hides near my filter same with the female they are in a 3 foot tank and breed all the time in the logs I have

The fish adviser
Plecos are nocturnal. Although they will come out att day sometimes, they prefer to come out when they over fish are sleeping and he or she can get the most algae

diddakoi
Plecos are nocturnal. Although they will come out att day sometimes, they prefer to come out when they over fish are sleeping and he or she can get the most algae
Ah, that clarifies things. I did read that it's best to feed your pleco just before or at lights out so they can get their share. Makes more sense now!

Kjacqu21
We had plecos for a while. They would hide til nightie then give the tank a head to toe cleanjng, then hide. They're not social butterflies lol.

aussieJJDude
Many plecos (like BN) appreciate fast moving oxygenated water, which the filter does simulate the wild. He probably also enjoying the feed of algae matter that builds up as well. IMO, as long as he can get in/out easily, I wouldn't worry about it..

Rainy day
I don't quite have the space for a 120L tank at this stage, it wasn't until after I had picked up the pleco that I realised how much space they needed. It is definitely on my list and will endeavour to do this when I have the space and when he starts to grow.

My new filter is a bit stronger (the old one came second hand and didn't seem to have much oomph to it) so he shouldn't be able to wiggle into it, but I will keep an eye on it and do the pantie hose trick if he gets in again.

If you do end up upgrading for him, transfer over all of the other fish as well. None of them belong in a tank that small, unfortunately.

diddakoi
I found this handy guide - looks like a bigger tank is going to be on the horizon!

AquStockImage.php?N=&L=23.6220472441&D=11.811023622&H=11.png

Lunnietic
AqAdvisor actually isn't that good of a site to use.. I still stand by saying plecos need at least 120 litres full grown and they only take a couple months to out grow small tanks.

diddakoi
AqAdvisor actually isn't that good of a site to use.. I still stand by saying plecos need at least 120 litres full grown and they only take a couple months to out grow small tanks.
I don't doubt you, it was just interesting to see what it thought of the set up.

corywand
Is your ammonia still at 3?

diddakoi
Is your ammonia still at 3?
I've just checked and it's around 1-2ppm

JB92668
u can fix that with zeloiet u put it in a filter bag and place in your tank for one week that will fix your ammonia troubles

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
astertk
Replies
Views
NLindsey921
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views