Bristlenose Pleco Help!

1. LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

Hi!
    I have a question; are albino longfin bristlenose plecos particularly sensitive/weak? I know with guppies albinos are always more sensitive and require a very stable water quality to survive but I have been wondering if this might be the case with albinos? I haven't been able to find any other info online so I have turned to you guys :D

Also, is there anything else particular about keeping longfin plecos - I have only kept shortfinned ones so far. The tank has peaceful tank mates (atm I have cardinal tetras and some danios + some mystery snails). Everyone appears to be getting along well.

I have owned bn plecos before (and very successfully) but now I am interested in attempting to breed an albino x black pair in my large tank. The tank has live plants, a breeding cave for them and has been thoroughly cycled - so bring on the plecos! :happy:

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

As a rule of thumb albinos have a genetic flaw that removes color pigment. In the wild its easy for predators to see them. Also long fin verites of any species cant swim as fast and the long fins are like a worm on a hook. That being said in the home aquarium there's no predators, so breed away and good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

Thanks for the quick reply - glad to learn they are not extra-susceptible in the home aquarium due to their albinism. Much appreciated! :D

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Your welcome.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Fry will probably completely be black then.