Bristlenose Pleco has bloated belly! Help

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by AllisonP, Apr 7, 2010.

1. A

AllisonP New Member Member

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can help me with some fast help.

Today when I came home from work and fed my fish, I noticed my bristlenose pleco under our fake driftwood kind of just laying on his back and his belly is all bloated. :'( I touched his tail and he swam away a little bit and hung upside down for a minute before dropping back down onto his side/back. I've been reading through some other posts and I'm about to try and give him some peas with the hopes that it is something simple. I haven't noticed any of his poop and haven't fed him anything but the algae that's in there and whatever flake food is leftover.

I'll try to make this as short as possible: Our power was out for about 3 hours yesterday - the temperature never got above 80, normally keep it 76 - 78. Tank has been up since 2/22/10 - ammonia and nitrites test at 0, nitrates 20, PH 7.8. I did a 20% water change yesterday to help oxygenate the water and also because my nitrates have been a bit high. Will do another water change tonight to try and lower them a little more too, but have been doing changes weekly.

The tank is a 20 gallon and has 3 tiger barbs and 2 green tiger barbs besides my pleco. I have a piece of real driftwood in there for him too. We had quite a bit of algae since the tank sat for a month while it was cycling and I didn't clean it because I knew I wanted my pleco.

I tried to take some pictures of him, one is obviously clearer than the other, but one is also closer up.

Please help!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

He needs food besides algae. Try him on a piece of zuchinni or cucumber.
    What are your water parameters ammonia, nitrite and Nitrates.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    A

How often should he get the zucchini or cucumber?

Ammonia and nitrites are both 0.
    Nitrates are currently at 20 with another water change scheduled for tonight.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Butterfly

I give mine zuchinni about twice a week of course the other fish and snails help them eat it :)
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    A

I will start giving him some to eat, assuming that he will start eating anything again. :'(

6. Butterfly

Let us know please :)
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    A

Well he ended up dying today.

I still don't know what could've caused his death. When I took him out his belly area looked really dark brown under his skin and he smelled terrible! Now I'm worried for my other fish in that tank....

8. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss. :console:

I'm no good with diseases, so can't offer much more than sympathy.

9. OP
    OP
    A

Sympathy works, thanks. :)

He was my favorite and I will miss his little bristley face.

10. B

BradFromAus New Member Member

I lost a pleco with the same type of thing. I believe it was an internal parasite which by the time you see the symptoms it is to late to treat and very hard to treat anyway.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  11. OP
    OP
    A

If it was, is there something I should do for the remaining fish in that tank?

12. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Aw, sorry you lost the little guy. Maybe in time you can get another, just make sure no sunkin eyes and no sunkin belly. Albinos are nice.

I wouldn't medicate or anything as you really don't know what it was, just keeping the water clean and feeding a variety of foods is the best thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice