Bristlenose Pleco Feeding Question

1. april_fish Member Member

What do you feed your bristlenose pleco, and how do you feed/prepare the food? I have an albino BN.

Thanks for any replies!

2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Algae Wafers, Cucumbers, Zucchini, or just the algae in your tank.

3. kuhlkid Member Member

BN plecos are herbivores, so you'll want to provide them lots of greens (including the algae in your tank, they love that). Be careful as well with food for anyone else in the tank--getting too much protein can cause a BN major digestive distress, but if they find meat they're likely to chew on it. If anybody in the tank has an especially meaty diet, make sure not to overfeed, so that it's all eaten before it hits the floor, where your pleco will find it. You can start with good ol' algae sinking wafers, and since BNs are small, you can probably snap these in halves or quarters before dropping them in. If your other fish are likely to pick on them before the pleco finds them, hide them under decor so that only your pleco can reach. There are other veggie sinking pellets as well--specifically, I know Omega One has some nice ones that I use for my kuhlis.

In addition to the dry foods though, provide your pleco some fresh veggies! Grab a zucchini at the market, cut into small pieces, and blanch it to disinfect. Then take one piece at a time, weight it down with a stainless steel nut and a rubber band, and set it on your substrate, tucked somewhere safe for your pleco to munch on. Take it back out after 24 hours so you don't dirty your water, and repeat once or twice a week! All the pieces you don't use can go in a bag in the freezer, which means one zucchini will get you a long way! And any other fish you keep might enjoy as well, so you can always put in two pieces at a time, one tucked away for your BN, and one in the open for anyone else to have fun with :)

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

BN's aren't herbivores but omnivores at the herbivorious side. They definitely need protein in their diet.

5. april_fish Member Member

What foods should I feed to provide protein?

And can I put the veggies in a bowl of water and microwave it to blanch them?

Thanks for the information!

Thank you for replying!

6. kuhlkid Member Member

DoubleDutch is right, they do need some protein--I just encourage being very cautious because of their sensitivity to protein overload. If you look at the ingredients on algae wafers, you'll see that most of them include fish meal. The wafers will provide them protein.

Yes, microwaving in water should do the trick.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

bloodworm, brineshrimp, shrimppellets, etc etc.

Yes you can !! Brussels sprout is another veggie they love. e44b4ead4d2eaf68679970306ed5ab62.jpg

8. kuhlkid Member Member

If you want to incorporate these, they most commonly come either frozen or freeze-dried. If you choose freeze dried, make sure to soak the food first, to avoid constipation. If you go the frozen route, I recommend brine shrimp very highly--their little shells help fish pass food easier :)

If I seem fixated on digestive ease, it's because I've battled with fish constipation myself! Plecos can be particularly sensitive, so just want to arm you with all the knowledge I've had to learn the hard way.

9. april_fish Member Member

Ok, thank you! :)

Awesome! Your pleco is beautiful! Thanks :)

10. themutlu Initiate Member

i will have L144 Albino Longfin and i know they are omnivore but they are realy sensitive about meaty food(internal parasites or constiotation).actually İ have never tired frozen food.ı have been giving sera o nip per a week. (Some times two time one week)
    because i am scare.But i think meaty food very important for disease beacuse he becomes strong and resistand with meaty diets. İ am undecided and scared about meaty food.
    l144 realy difficult kind i think.

11. David Lawson Initiate Member

Cucumber!!!