Bristlenose Pleco Egg/fry Care.

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Demeter, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Finally, finally was able to convince my plecos it was time to get it on. I've done a fair amount of research but now I wish to know when is a good time to move the cave and dad into a separate rearing tank? Exactly when will the eggs hatch and how long until they are free swimming? I've read they'll hatch between 4-10 days depending on temperature then free swimming a few day later. Temp is at 80F right now.

I've got a 20gal that I can use, all set up and all I need to do is toss the cichlid fry into the neighboring 29gal. Dad's in a planted 29gal betta sorority sitting in his cave with a pile of eggs. I've already seen stray eggs scattered near the cave and collected as many as I could. The stray eggs are in a DIY egg tumbler with just enough flow to keep water circulating around them.

Bonus points to anyone who can guess what the fry will end up looking like. Dad's a long finned normal color, mom's an albino short finned. My guess is they will be the usual brown short finned variety unless either parent has a recessive gene I don't know about.

2. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

Congrats on eggs!!!!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    Demeter

Dad didn't take care of the eggs in his cave so all those are gone. The stray eggs I collected shortly after they were laid are just now starting to hatch though!

The first of about 20 eggs to hatch. They're in a specimen container with Meth. blue and a bubbler
    IMG_3004.JPG

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

They should be 50/50 long/short fin, with all being brown unless dad has a recessive albino, then it would be 50/50 for colors.

5. OP
    OP
    Demeter

I think dad does indeed have a recessive albino gene. Some of the fry look very light colored with bright reflective eyes while others are brownish with black eyes. I believe there are 3 albinos in this pic, one in front, two on the right. Sorry for blurry pictures.
    IMG_3011.JPG

3 of the fry died while trying to hatch and one that did hatch has an odd looking yolk sac. I'm not too sure that one will survive. So right now there are 16 good looking fry and then the 1 weird one.

6. OP
    OP
    Demeter

The first spawn was a bust. I moved the fry to two planted 10gals after their yolks were gone and I didn't see them again. Perhaps one or two are hiding somewhere but I doubt it. For some reason my lovely long finned male died, it could of been from the spawning but I can't say for sure. I was pretty down about it though. I'll probably never find a long finned normal pleco for 5.99$ again.

On the other hand, I did get a good spawn from the same female and my older albino male :D He took care of the eggs and fry like they're supposed to. They've been eating algae wafers, DIY fish jello, and green beans.
    IMG_3232.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice