Question Bristlenose Pleco Cross Breeding

fishandfish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Male super red short fin and a female albino long fin pleco that just spawned, the male came from a pure super red line and the albino came from an only albino spawn. What types of fry am I going to get out of it?

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, trying to figure out same issue. From what I've researched they should be around 50/50 short & long fin. Color, I would think red would be more dominate. Hope this helps!

Ramsey

Reaction score
This article goes in depth about bristlenose cross breeding:

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ramsey said:
This article goes in depth about bristlenose cross breeding:

Interesting but a lot of the info / assumptions isn't/aren't that correct to me.

The "common" BN Ancistrus cf cirrhosus is the result of crossbreeding of all kind of different species. Therefor the "common" even doesn't excist in the wild and purebreds of these don't excist. So telling different species can't crossbreed isn't correct. The problem is they will almost all crossbreed.

Also Super Reds aren't offspring of albinos. They lack the red eyes to be albino.
L144 (incorrect name) is a Xanthic type (like albinism)

What the autor is correct about is is that the offspring's color depends on the genes in the parents (Hard to predict cause some are "hidden" being recessive others are visible)

Ramsey

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Interesting but a lot of the info / assumptions isn't/aren't that correct to me.

The "common" BN Ancistrus cf cirrhosus is the result of crossbreeding of all kind of different species. Therefor the "common" even doesn't excist in the wild and purebreds of these don't excist. So telling different species can't crossbreed isn't correct. The problem is they will almost all crossbreed.

Also Super Reds aren't offspring of albinos. They lack the red eyes to be albino.
L144 (incorrect name) is a Xanthic type (like albinism)

What the autor is correct about is is that the offspring's color depends on the genes in the parents (Hard to predict cause some are "hidden" being recessive others are visible)
Yeah, I wasn’t too sure on what the person was saying about the different kinds of bristlenoses, but I thought that the article was interesting and it did talk a little bit about crossing different traits and I thought that part might’ve been able to be applied to this question.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishandfish said:
I have a Male super red short fin and a female albino long fin pleco that just spawned, the male came from a pure super red line and the albino came from an only albino spawn. What types of fry am I going to get out of it?
Following for updates. I want to see what they look like when they grow!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ramsey said:
Yeah, I wasn’t too sure on what the person was saying about the different kinds of bristlenoses, but I thought that the article was interesting and it did talk a little bit about crossing different traits and I thought that part might’ve been able to be applied to this question.
Oh yes Ramsey. I didn't mean it was useless or completely wrong. If I am correct it also is an article from 2011?
Since then for instance there have been scientific proof that there are two type.of albino gens (different locations) which means albino × albino could mean brown offspring.

Ramsey

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Oh yes Ramsey. I didn't mean it was useless or completely wrong. If I am correct it also is an article from 2011?
Since then for instance there have been scientific proof that there are two type.of albino gens (different locations) which means albino × albino could mean brown offspring.
Yes. I obviously don’t know everything about bristlenose genetics but these types of things do fascinate me

SarahMcGee

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I haven't found a definitive answer to whether long fin is dominant or recessive or controlled by multiple genes but from reading lots of stories of others breeding I'm fairly confident that it's is a dominant gene. Depending on if your albino has one long fin gene or two you will either have 50/50 long fin and short fin fry or 100% long fin. The coloration genetics are much more complicated but I'd guess you will get brown or possibly calico. This site details the results of the same cross you are doing and further generations.

Ramsey

Reaction score
Today I just picked up some bristlenose plecos from a hobbyist because I want to do a breeding colony. There were two albinos with white speckled spots and 4 regular bristlenose plecos. The guy told me that all but one are siblings. He also told me that the father was a green dragon and the mother was an albino longfin. I thought that was pretty cool and I want to see what happens when they breed. (I’m assuming mostly regular bristlenoses)

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ramsey said:
Today I just picked up some bristlenose plecos from a hobbyist because I want to do a breeding colony. There were two albinos with white speckled spots and 4 regular bristlenose plecos. The guy told me that all but one are siblings. He also told me that the father was a green dragon and the mother was an albino longfin. I thought that was pretty cool and I want to see what happens when they breed. (I’m assuming mostly regular bristlenoses)
Hello again, here's a pic of of fry from albino long fin female & albino short fin male. 30+ 2wks old. Growing fast. Need to wait to find out percentage of long & short. Hope this helps!
1552856705772.jpg

Ramsey

Reaction score
Michael.j.gomez said:
Hello again, here's a pic of of fry from albino long fin female & albino short fin male. 30+ 2wks old. Growing fast. Need to wait to find out percentage of long & short. Hope this helps!
1552856705772.jpg
Nice. I’m excited to see what happens.

Ekke

Reaction score
What age will you be able to see if the are long or short fin?

New Threads