bristlenose pleco changing color?

EddieWarp

Reaction score
We needed to get a couple of algae eaters for our tank two days ago. My wife bought one called a bristlenose pleco. The question I have is that it seems to have changed colors to match the rocks in our tank. It was darker, I think but now its tan almost whitish. Is it dying? or Sick? or is this just something it does to kinda be left alone? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ed

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bristlenose will occasionally change colors just for the heck of it, from stress and lighter colored rocks
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When mine are eating they get excited and change color to a kind of mottled brown and tan color and when their chasing each other and playing. When they lay on their piece of dark colored wood they get really dark as opposed to when they lay on the tan gravel when they may turn much lighter.
Now EddieWarp if your bristle nose is actually turning white, has a fuzzy look to it or anything else abnormal it could be sick. Keep us posted. Posting your water test results would be helpful also. Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates? Your water change schedule? How much do you change? Size of tank?
Carol

Debi

Reaction score
I have been in love with the bristlenose for about 6 years now. started off with a couple of marbles, which changed as they grew. My "big boy" as we call him died this morning. He was about 4 and was 6" long. My PH is neutral (7) because of all the other fish I have in the tank. We have another male (4") and 2 girls which are about 2". I recently purchased a new log from a reliable source and put it in about 4 days ago - even though they said it was right to go I still cleaned it with a brush and blasted it with my husband's airgun to ensure it was clean. Since it has been in my 6' tank I have lost a rainbow shark and two tetras - do you think it could be the log. It doesn't appear to be leaching. No changes to the PH. What other tests can I do?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you suspect the wood then it's time to take it out. Do you know what kind of wood it is? Some woods(such as cedar, pine, cyprus etc) leech oils and resins into the water and should not be used.
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My BN changes colors just like yours Butterfly, it's pretty cool to watch how they can camoflauge themselves so well.

Sorry can't help you Debi.

New Threads