Bristlenose pleco care

1. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Above. What are tank requirements, feeding habits etc? And will they eat other fry? How hard are they to Breed?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

20 long at the least, and thats if you don't mind extra huge water changes. Other wise a 29/30. They eat anything, provided they are not spoiled like mine is.... She went through a horrible phase of only eating yellow squash >.< My girl really likes a big up-turned terra cotta pot, with a rock propped under it to make an opening for her to get in and out of. They shouldn't eat fish unless they're dead, or dying, and once they start breeding, you better be ready for baby overload!

3. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

When can you tell the sex of plecos? And how? Mine is 2 months old and I have no clue if Scooter is a he or she.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on how fast they grow. At 3-4 inches, they should start growing in bristles. When they are younger, and easy-ish way to tell is females tend to have wider heads.

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Minimum 20gal tank, although I personally prefer larger since they can be territorial and are actually fairly active.

They need driftwood to aid with their digestion.

I have an adult male in my 55gal and he is quite the character. He has claimed the sphinx ornament as his very own and gets very hostile toward any fish that comes near it. We're talking spines out and chasing them away. He will come out and munch on the driftwood (there's algae on the driftwood) or snack on the algae on the jungle val. He's active whenever he wants to be, day or night.

I've not had him in with any fish that have reproduced, but I have a friend who has had his in with his livebearers and never lost any fry to her (he has a female albino bristlenose).

6. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Mine is pretty mean. She nipped the dorsal fin of one of my GBR's. When I feed her algae wafers (she ate all of the algae off the tank) she will lay on top of the wafer and eat it while chasing away ANYTHING that comes too close to her. However, when it's not feeding time she usually stays away from the fish and actually hides from them. Her care has been pretty easy. Just an algae wafer every now and then and a constant supply of algae in the tank and that's about it for her.

7. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Awwww...JessiNoel, yours is just a baby!! I remember when Percy was that tiny. He was less than an inch long when I bought him from Walmart on a whim because he looked different than the other plecos in the tank. Now he's a 5" monster who thinks shrimp pellets are the best thing on the planet. lol

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Too small to say for sure, but judging by the thickness of the head, looks like it might be a male.

Yeah, anything that gets to close to my girl when theres food in the tank gets chanced away with a vengeance XD

9. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Yes I am guessing he is he was only 1/4 inch when I got him he is now a 1/2 inch and he hogs the shrimp pellets too and he LOVES blueberries he goes wild on treat night for them lol. I have to fight him to get the skins out of his den.

10. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

This is Percy:
    [​IMG]

11. Heather12404 Member Member

I had an albino BN pleco for 2 days and it died. It was a baby...maybe 1.5-2inches at the most from nose to tail. I have no clue why it died. My parameters are totally stable and I gave it algae wafers as I have no algae in my tank.
    I plan on getting another one...an albino longfin BN pleco. I just have to hope that it doesn't die as well. I'd love have one of these guys because they look so interesting.