Bristlenose pleco breeding

Fishytime25

Hello everyone!
I am going to be breeding bristlenose Soon and was wondering if there is anything I should know before hand.

BigManAquatics

Make sure to have some caves, probably a 20 gal + growout tank, a plan on what to do with them when they start getting around 1" or so. Make sire to feed the adults stuff like frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms to condition them for breeding and doing a water change with the replacement water 2-3 degrees cooler can kick off breeding behavior.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Hi & welcome to Fishlore.
My advice would be to make sure you have somewhere to rehome/sell the fry on a regular basis.
Bristlenose plecs are prolific breeders & unless you have a desirable colour/long fin variety then fry could be hard to move on, good luck :)

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi Fishytime25,
You have not posted where you live. In my country Australia many shops will always take 2 inch BN juveniles but only offer $2 store credit approximately. It’s 6 months work of multiple water changes each week.

You will need multiple tanks to raise all of the hundred or more fry. It may be your style to cull early in order to have room to raise 60 odd in clean fresh water which will still take a handful of tanks.

Only keep the adults together when you want more fry. You will have to have 2 tanks for the adults.

All heck will break out at 2 inches if you don’t sell them . The males will fight over food. The females will not get much food. It’s impossible to explain the volume of poop until you have done it.

Upvote 0

Fishytime25

Thank you guys so much!
Would they be fine to breed with guppies?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jallen42
  • Question
Replies
Views