Bristlenose Pleco breeding

TankMaster25

Hey guys, I have a friend who is giving me a 36 gallon tank and a male pleco, I was wondering if I got 2 females, how do I breed them?

DoubleDutch

By putting them together hahaha. I'd check first if you can get rid of the fry before breeding them. They breed like rabbits !!!!

TankMaster25

Thanks

TankMaster25

The 36 gallon didn't come with the fry, only with 1 male BN pleco. Any ideas on how to make him breed with the females?

Aquarist

My best advice is to let Mother Nature take her course. If it's meant to happen it will.

Ken

NCE12940

Yep, they will breed continuously and you'll be overrun with babies (Unless you have other fish in there that will eat the babies! )

TankMaster25

In the tank I will have 3 guppies that will breed in the same tank. I just want a few fry to eventually sell

NCE12940

In the tank I will have 3 guppies that will breed in the same tank. I just want a few fry to eventually sell

You'll have to separate the male & female/s at some point then or you'll have continual spawns and 100s of babies

TankMaster25

I was thinking the of after 1 or 2 spawns to move the male into my 55 gallon community tank. Will they be aggressive?

NCE12940

That's a good plan. He shouldn't be aggressive; they usually aren't. He'll be miffed at losing his girlfriends but as long as he has food he'll manage

TankMaster25

Great thanks

NCE12940

When the time comes - probably the easiest way to catch a male BN is just to move him in the cave rather than trying to net him. This also works for females as when they see the net they usually hide in a cave too.

TankMaster25

Great thanks

Bruxes and Bubbles

This won't be happening until next year, but I figured I should get all of my ducks in a row before then. I've done research, but as we all know, the Internet is not always reliable for information.

My bristlenose pleco Nutella was sold to me as a red marble bristlenose, so I assume that to get babies that are those colors (instead of just brown), I will need a female of the same color. Correct?
I am not seeing any specified females of that type for sale, so is my best bet to buy a pack of 5 babies (what I usually see for sale) and just grow them out until I have some definite females? Then sell the others?

Is a marble bristlenose pleco the same as a calico bristlenose pleco? (I know they're the same species, but is it just two different names for the same gene?)

If I breed a longfin bristlenose pleco with a shortfin bristlenose pleco, will the resulting offspring be 50% longfin and 50% shortfin? Or is longfin a recessive gene that will require two generations to show itself?

Thanks very much for the help! I'll probably have more questions, but these are all I have for now.

Mcasella

Yes, calicos normally are the lighter version of red marbles and often do not get to the same red color. Long fin is dominant, so you will get 50/50, with short fin able to produce a small amount of long fin if bred together.
You can get a super red and produce some cleaner marbles or dirty super reds.

Bruxes and Bubbles

Yes, calicos normally are the lighter version of red marbles and often do not get to the same red color. Long fin is dominant, so you will get 50/50, with short fin able to produce a small amount of long fin if bred together.

Thank you so much! So a pack like this would be a good one? I really appreciate the help! It would be awesome to breed some reds! Maybe at some point I could get the longfin gene in there.

Mcasella

The are Czech, which will stay around 3.5-4 inches, they are defined by the black mark on the tail as far as I have been able to see for the different strains. They would definitely work for breeding.

Bruxes and Bubbles

The are Czech, which will stay around 3.5-4 inches, they are defined by the black mark on the tail as far as I have been able to see for the different strains. They would definitely work for breeding.

Thank you! What kind of cave would you recommend for breeding when that time comes? I'm going to start saving up for them so maybe I can order some in fall. If not then then next spring.

They reach breeding maturity at around 1 year old, right?

Mcasella

I had my oldest female with bristles for 1 yr before I bred her (I sold her at 1.5 yrs old and she was just massive for a female that young, she was five inches by over an inch in width and laid 80 eggs by herself on average with three spawns before I sold her).
I use the ceramic cichlid caves, my males absolutely love them and they are not an eye sore, I will have to look up the name for them and likely get a couple more lol. (Aquarium Stone is the brand name of the ones I have)

Bruxes and Bubbles

I had my oldest female with bristles for 1 yr before I bred her (I sold her at 1.5 yrs old and she was just massive for a female that young, she was five inches by over an inch in width and laid 80 eggs by herself on average with three spawns before I sold her).
I use the ceramic cichlid caves, my males absolutely love them and they are not an eye sore, I will have to look up the name for them and likely get a couple more lol. (Aquarium Stone is the brand name of the ones I have)

Like these?

How big of a tank do you think would be needed for a grow out?

If I get them in fall I'll have a 10 gallon growout (daily water changes, obviously) and a 20 gallon for a permanent home for a female as soon as they could be sexed. The rest would be rehomed.

If it's next spring I'll have a 20 gallon as a growout, but then I'll have to wait a while for breeding unless I happen to find a definite female for sale.

What do you think?

Mcasella

A 20 long would be better for a grow out, the smaller tank will limit how fast they will grow.
Yup, I have the "mbuna dark" colored ones, but that is just what I had available lol. You can also go for a pleco cave if you feel like it, it is a clay tube with either an open or closed end.
For growing out any resulting fry as large as you can manage.
You may be able to find just a red female in that amount of time keep hitting up aquabid you may get lucky.

Bruxes and Bubbles

A 20 long would be better for a grow out, the smaller tank will limit how fast they will grow.
Yup, I have the "mbuna dark" colored ones, but that is just what I had available lol. You can also go for a pleco cave if you feel like it, it is a clay tube with either an open or closed end.
For growing out any resulting fry as large as you can manage.
You may be able to find just a red female in that amount of time keep hitting up aquabid you may get lucky.

Thank you!

I'd have to guess that that would be too many of them to raise up to sexable age in a 20 high shrimp tank too, eh? I'll have to wait until the turtle is gone so I can get a new 20 up and running to use as a growout then a breeding tank. I'll keep an eye out for a female and see if anything good is for sale after Harvey passes over.

How old do they usually have to be to sex them?

Mcasella

You will be seeing bristles once males have reached 2.5-3 inches, which is around 6-8 months old, some sex out as mature as early as 9 months old, though it is often 11 months before you have real results.

Bruxes and Bubbles

You will be seeing bristles once males have reached 2.5-3 inches, which is around 6-8 months old, some sex out as mature as early as 9 months old, though it is often 11 months before you have real results.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I'm going to put money aside and see what's for sale this fall or next spring.

How has your pleco breeding been going?

Mcasella

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I'm going to put money aside and see what's for sale this fall or next spring.

How has your pleco breeding been going?
The little red marbles are growing very quickly, three days old and almost a quarter of an inch and half of their egg sacks are gone. They are starting to look like minI plecos instead of beer-bellied wobblers lol. I'm estimating 30-40 of them, with the 10 or so eggs dad was left with to hatch and the rest of the batch I took to prevent something going into his unguarded cave and eating them.
I have yet to see eggs in the blue-eyed or green dragons' caves (standard and long fin, I have a trio of standard fins in one tank and the long fin male with two long fin females and my largest standard fin female in another tank, I switched up my red males because the one was being awful [have him up for auction right now], the smaller male is also nicer looking so I'll stick with him and his females for breeding while I wait on my other younger reds [czech, the breeding reds are german] to grow out to breeding age, my blue eyed long fins are between 2 and 3.5 inches in length including tail, the biggest has some lip bristles so i'm hoping he turns into a stunning male, I believe the yellow I got from biz will likely be a female as I haven't seen any sign of bristles at two inches - all of which are a nice banana yellow with baby blue eyes).
I am hoping they will surprise me with some eggs this weekend but I am probably also going to buy a couple more "cichlid" caves to place for them and trade out the green dragon lf's for one a little smaller.

Bruxes and Bubbles

The little red marbles are growing very quickly, three days old and almost a quarter of an inch and half of their egg sacks are gone. They are starting to look like minI plecos instead of beer-bellied wobblers lol. I'm estimating 30-40 of them, with the 10 or so eggs dad was left with to hatch and the rest of the batch I took to prevent something going into his unguarded cave and eating them.
I have yet to see eggs in the blue-eyed or green dragons' caves (standard and long fin, I have a trio of standard fins in one tank and the long fin male with two long fin females and my largest standard fin female in another tank, I switched up my red males because the one was being awful [have him up for auction right now], the smaller male is also nicer looking so I'll stick with him and his females for breeding while I wait on my other younger reds [czech, the breeding reds are german] to grow out to breeding age, my blue eyed long fins are between 2 and 3.5 inches in length including tail, the biggest has some lip bristles so i'm hoping he turns into a stunning male, I believe the yellow I got from biz will likely be a female as I haven't seen any sign of bristles at two inches - all of which are a nice banana yellow with baby blue eyes).
I am hoping they will surprise me with some eggs this weekend but I am probably also going to buy a couple more "cichlid" caves to place for them and trade out the green dragon lf's for one a little smaller.

I hope that the others will breed for you! That's great that the red marbles are doing well!

DoubleDutch

Are you sure about the long fins?
In fact I doubt it is genetically. In my opinion longfins are the result of extreme linebreeding. If bred with normal finned ones, the fry will slowly go back "to normal".

Mcasella

Are you sure about the long fins?
In fact I doubt it is genetically. In my opinion longfins are the result of extreme linebreeding. If bred with normal finned ones, the fry will slowly go back "to normal".
Just like there are records of albino producing brown fry, there are pictured records of long fin being produce from short fins. The albino might be an age related thing is was also stated (an older pair might produce more).

DoubleDutch

Just like there are records of albino producing brown fry, there are pictured records of long fin being produce from short fins. The albino might be an age related thing is was also stated (an older pair might produce more).
I know about the albino. That's caused by two recessive gens. But as said I don't believe long fins are a genetic issue.
All long finned Corys (which I hate) are linebred deformed Corys. Not caused by a natural recessive gen like albinism leucism xanthism melanism etc etc....m.
But as always : This Dutchman can go wrong.

Bruxes and Bubbles

I'm going to order them next spring when I have the 20 gallon to grow them out.

Thanks guys!

JLeeM

Hey there.

I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere in the logs of time. However, I've never seen an answer.

Is there, anywhere, a breeding calculator for bristlenose plecos much like the niffty one I was recently introduced to for angelfish? (That's right bizaliz3 I am just beginning to FINALLY understand some of your angelfish breeding jargon. lol).

I'm wondering, because I currently have two batches of plecos that I'm wondering what they're going to end up looking like. So far, they're not exactly not what I hoped for. They continue to change though, and I wonder how far this may continue.

Thanks in advance for any answers, and happy fish keeping!

bizaliz3

The genetics of angelfish is much more complex than plecos. So I don't really think a calculator is possible...or even necessary.

What I find to be true with BNs is when you mix two different types of ancistrus sp., they will just give you common browns for the most part. Like a lemon and a super red would likely make browns. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) I know for a fact that lemon is recessive to brown.

Essentially every color morph of BN pleco is recessive to the common brown from what I've seen.

With that being said...their genetics are much much simpler than those of angelfish, and a single punnet square can tell you what you need to know for the most part.

Even if I'm wrong and there are co-dominant genes, they still wouldn't have enough genetic codes to warrant a calculator like angelfish!

I wish there was a calculator for rams! There seems to be a lot of co-dominance with their genes though.

JLeeM

The genetics of angelfish is much more complex than plecos. So I don't really think a calculator is possible...or even necessary.

What I find to be true with BNs is when you mix two different types of ancistrus sp., they will just give you common browns for the most part. Like a lemon and a super red would likely make browns. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) I know for a fact that lemon is recessive to brown.

Essentially every color morph of BN pleco is recessive to the common brown from what I've seen.

With that being said...their genetics are much much simpler than those of angelfish, and a single punnet square can tell you what you need to know for the most part.

Even if I'm wrong and there are co-dominant genes, they still wouldn't have enough genetic codes to warrant a calculator like angelfish!

I wish there was a calculator for rams! There seems to be a lot of co-dominance with their genes though.
I'm was asking because of these little ones I told you about here a while back. Dad is a chocolate marble longfin (has red genes involved somewhere; also believe to be homozygous longfin). Mom is a standard fin super red. Was hoping for some calicos. About three weeks of age they started growing dark spots on the back half. Some have more than others. Some are still growing them. Just wondering if this should continue for some really nice calicos or if they'll just be "dirty reds". If those two things are even different from one another.

bizaliz3

I'm was asking because of these little ones I told you about here a while back. Dad is a chocolate marble longfin (has red genes involved somewhere; also believe to be homozygous longfin). Mom is a standard fin super red. Was hoping for some calicos. About three weeks of age they started growing dark spots on the back half. Some have more than others. Some are still growing them. Just wondering if this should continue for some really nice calicos or if they'll just be "dirty reds". If those two things are even different from one another.

I feel like calicos and dirty reds are examples of co-dominance...a blending of traits. Lemon is definitely recessive. But maybe that's not the case with the reds.

Weren't the super reds made through selective breeding? Cuz that certainly isn't the case with the recessive genes I've worked with. Lemon and albino.

JLeeM

I feel like calicos and dirty reds are examples of co-dominance...a blending of traits. Lemon is definitely recessive. But maybe that's not the case with the reds.

Weren't the super reds made through selective breeding? Cuz that certainly isn't the case with the recessive genes I've worked with. Lemon and albino.
I believe so yes. Now how they made them you may ask? I have no idea.

bizaliz3

I believe so yes. Now how they made them you may ask? I have no idea.

Well...for a blending of traits to occur...in order to make super reds...then there's definitely co-dominant genes involved.

JLeeM

Hey guys.

Have a question again. I currently have got three different clutches of plecos growing. The oldest ones need new homes as soon as I find the time to do so. The other two clutches are calicos and are about 3 weeks apart. Well, tonight I discovered that my male has a new, MASSIVE clutch of eggs.

So I'm searching for advice. Should I even consider keeping these? If so, is it a better idea to keep my two younger batches separate since there's three weeks difference in age? Or could I put them together since they're all the same, and from the same pair? I hate to just throw good eggs away. I'm sure I'll eventually have to though.

Fishytime25

Hello everyone!
I am going to be breeding bristlenose Soon and was wondering if there is anything I should know before hand.

BigManAquatics

Make sure to have some caves, probably a 20 gal + growout tank, a plan on what to do with them when they start getting around 1" or so. Make sire to feed the adults stuff like frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms to condition them for breeding and doing a water change with the replacement water 2-3 degrees cooler can kick off breeding behavior.

Coradee

Hi & welcome to Fishlore.
My advice would be to make sure you have somewhere to rehome/sell the fry on a regular basis.
Bristlenose plecs are prolific breeders & unless you have a desirable colour/long fin variety then fry could be hard to move on, good luck :)

Flyfisha

Hi Fishytime25,
You have not posted where you live. In my country Australia many shops will always take 2 inch BN juveniles but only offer $2 store credit approximately. It’s 6 months work of multiple water changes each week.

You will need multiple tanks to raise all of the hundred or more fry. It may be your style to cull early in order to have room to raise 60 odd in clean fresh water which will still take a handful of tanks.

Only keep the adults together when you want more fry. You will have to have 2 tanks for the adults.

All heck will break out at 2 inches if you don’t sell them . The males will fight over food. The females will not get much food. It’s impossible to explain the volume of poop until you have done it.

Fishytime25

Thank you guys so much!
Would they be fine to breed with guppies?

619CoryFan

Thank you guys so much!
Would they be fine to breed with guppies?
Yes they would be fine with guppies as long as the fry are big enough to get away from the adult guppies. Have you started the breeding project? How's it going?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
dwarphshrimp
Replies
Views
sarah13berry
  • Question
Replies
Views
LadfromLondon