Bristlenose Or Common

Mary E.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys, so here’s the deal. About 3-4 years ago I bought two super cute baby Plecos from a chain store (yes I have the tanks to handle them, and the reason I went with a chain store was because they were cheap). I was under the impression that the Plecos were Bristlenose. Long story short, Whisky is definitely a male Bristlenose, but Bourbon I honestly don’t know. Bourbon looks exactly like Whisky but there are no whiskers, any thoughts on if Bourbon is a completely different type of Pleco or is actually just a female?

uNeverCantrill

Reaction score
Mary E. said:
Hey guys, so here’s the deal. About 3-4 years ago I bought two super cute baby Plecos from a chain store (yes I have the tanks to handle them, and the reason I went with a chain store was because they were cheap). I was under the impression that the Plecos were Bristlenose. Long story short, Whisky is definitely a male Bristlenose, but Bourbon I honestly don’t know. Bourbon looks exactly like Whisky but there are no whiskers, any thoughts on if Bourbon is a completely different type of Pleco or is actually just a female?
Could be a Rubberlip, or just a female bristlenose

Elbe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A bristlenose will grow to like 4-6 inches. A common pleco will grow to about 2 feet, some have got to 3 feet long if that helps.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seeing the mouth would help us determine it easily.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the other is definitely a bristlenose and this one looks just like it, chances are it's a bristlenose. After 2 to 3 years it would be huge if it was a common. Female bristlenose don't have the bristles, or sometimes just a few smaller around the mouth.

Pics would obviously be the best way to identify if you are still unsure.

OP
Mary E.

Mary E.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
VeiltailKing said:
Seeing the mouth would help us determine it easily.
I’ll try to get a pic for y’all, Bourbon is just crazy skittish so it’s a bit hard

OP
Mary E.

Mary E.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FC0F9259-4604-4D6B-B9CA-BBDEBD7871F5.jpeg

OP
Mary E.

Mary E.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
It sounds like you have both a male and a female. Only the male gets the bristles. If you give them the proper place to do so you may end up with lots of adorable pleco fry.
Thank you so much! I've been wondering about these little guys for forever (Tbh, some little baby bristlenose pleco fry would sooooo be beyond adorable lol). Thanks again!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Mary E. said:
Thank you so much! I've been wondering about these little guys for forever (Tbh, some little baby bristlenose pleco fry would sooooo be beyond adorable lol). Thanks again!
If you do have both a male and a female bristlenose pleco I am surprised you've not already seen little ones. If you've had them for 3 or 4 years they are plenty old enough.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mary E. said:
I'd like to see a better pic, a clear one, with good exposure on the fish, whenever you can. Better to have us wait, and take a good pic than a bad one and still have some of us (at least me) uncertain. There's just something about the fish's silhouette that doesn't seems like it's a bristlenose.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I'd like to see a better pic, a clear one, with good exposure on the fish, whenever you can. Better to have us wait, and take a good pic than a bad one and still have some of us (at least me) uncertain. There's just something about the fish's silhouette that doesn't seems like it's a bristlenose.
I couldn't tell anything from the photo either. I could only go by the description and guess that it was a he and she BN. Could be a male BN since one does have bristles and some other kind of pleco thus no babies after all this time.

OP
Mary E.

Mary E.

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My bad y’all sorry, he/she has always been super skittish. I just can’t seem to get a good pic. I think the main reason I’ve not gotten babies yet (aside from them possibly being different types), is because I moved Whisky (my male) to a slightly larger tank in another room.

New Threads