Bristlenose have bred unexpectedly.

Kaleiha

So I have a Pictus and some Tetras in with my BN and yesterday discovered three wee fry on the glass. I've never bred fish before and I want to get this right. I whipped straight down to the pet store and grabbed a breeder net and eventually moved them in there with some driftwood and spinach leaves.

They're just hanging out on the net and I've not seen them attempting to eat yet. Am I doing the right thing or should I let them in the tank with the Pictus around. I don't want him to eat them.

I'm guessing there will be more fry in the cave that one of the males is still in but I'm reluctant to pick it up just yet and have a swarm of them out. Please advise!

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Congratulations on your new additions. It is always exciting when we find babies in our tanks. If you want to save and raise a bunch of them, now may be the best time to catch and move them to a grow out tank. It is much easier to catch them when they are still contained in the cave. Once the eggs have hatched they no longer need their Dad there to watch over them.

The easiest way to catch all at once is place the cave in a container and lift container and cave out of the water. A net might work but they tend to get caught in the net.

Kaleiha

It is super exciting! I haven't had a tank for years and this one was inherited from the vet clinic I nurse in.

Unfortunately I don't have another tank just yet. I'm just weeks away from picking the new one up from laybuy!

One of the girls I work with used to work in a pet store though and suggested a bucket with an air filter. Could I perhaps pick the cave up and plop them in there to get the fry out and then put Dad back in the tank?

Would I leave them in the bucket or put them in the breeder net.

BigManAquatics

Pleco babies tend to eat a lot of biofilm and algae at first, whatever they can get their mouths on, which won't really be available in a breeder net.

mattgirl

It is super exciting! I haven't had a tank for years and this one was inherited from the vet clinic I nurse in.

Unfortunately I don't have another tank just yet. I'm just weeks away from picking the new one up from laybuy!

One of the girls I work with used to work in a pet store though and suggested a bucket with an air filter. Could I perhaps pick the cave up and plop them in there to get the fry out and then put Dad back in the tank?

Would I leave them in the bucket or put them in the breeder net.
I actually used a small storage tote (about 3 gallons) with a sponge filter for my first spawn of pleco fry. I pulled a piece of driftwood out of the main tank for them. It was covered in food for the little ones.

Yes you can just pick up the cave and move it. If the fry are not ready to come out they shouldn't come rushing out when you pick it up. And yes, just move the Dad back in the main tank. Whatever you move the fry to be sure to fill it with water from the tank you are pulling them out of.

I don't think a breeder net is the best option for pleco fry.

Kaleiha

I actually used a small storage tote (about 3 gallons) with a sponge filter for my first spawn of pleco fry. I pulled a piece of driftwood out of the main tank for them. It was covered in food for the little ones.

Yes you can just pick up the cave and move it. If the fry are not ready to come out they shouldn't come rushing out when you pick it up. And yes, just move the Dad back in the main tank. Whatever you move the fry to be sure to fill it with water from the tank you are pulling them out of.

I don't think a breeder net is the best option for pleco fry.
Thank you! Yes I don't feel like it's right for them either. They were quite happily sucking on the glass yesterday and then I just shove them into a net with nothing to adhere to. I'll pick up a little tank after work today and yes of course, I will use tank water!

I have some good driftwood and rocks in the tank that I will place in with them as well.

Thank you so much for your help.

mattgirl

You are so very welcome. Please post an update as often as you can. We love watching babies grow :)

Kaleiha

I sure will. I just ordered a 21L tank (Aussie, idk gallons) to pick up after work! I'll grab a little air bubbler while I'm at it. I just noticed the little white baby has escaped the net. Nvm, captured and secured.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
Eirelav_mcgoo
Replies
Views
Sophari
Replies
Views