Bristlenose Feeding Problems

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Chelseaspie, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Chelseaspie

ChelseaspieNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone :D

I am new to keeping fish, my tank is around 90-100ltrs. We have 3 guppies, a few guppy fry, some mini snails, red cherry shrimp and 6 baby bristlenoses. A few months back we lost 2 BN's from what i read on the internet it was because we didnt feed them the right food.

In the tank we have 6 live plants, a giant hidey home, 3 or 4 fake plants. We have a heater set to 26c (on the left) and the temperate on the right is 24c. We feed fish flakes, betta pellets and zuchini + peas every few days. As soon as i drop the veggies in the guppies go straight to it and eat so much, i havnt seen the bristlenoses or shrimp touch any of it yet? they are very active, and look healthy (2cm long each, you can see the albino one to the right under the thermometer)

Will they find it? do i need to add more to the tank? I really dont want to lose anymore

Any suggestions on how to keep my fish happier would be appreciated too.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,100
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    . Welcome! I feed mine at night, right before I go to bed and then I turn off the light. Plecos come out at night and the other fish are less likely to find the food in the dark. I also feed algae wafers to them. I’m sure your pleco is fine and eating while you are sleeping.

3. lesley

lesleyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi, im the same feed at night veg, algae wafers and pleco pellets. They will find their food so try not to worry so much

4. diddakoi

diddakoiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +33
    Experience:
    Just started
    Feed your other fish at normal time, and put in the wafers/pleco food at night before bed. That gives them a better chance at a feed.

I feed mine all at the same time and fortunately my BN spots the wafers and scurries over to them. He's not afraid to brush off the other fish to get to them! My other fish have slow sinking granules.