Bristlenose Catfish Tail Rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacintta

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,

Can anyone suggest treatment for my bristlenose catfish. Tail is rotting. Bristles on face are fine. Other catfish in tank has no issues. Tank is 150L. No other fish in tank (tetras) have any fin issues. Tail has been slowly deteriorating for weeks. I've tried methylene blue dip/bath for 10 secs and the instead gone to pouring it directly onto affected tail part every couple of days without any change. I've cleaned the tank (major clean of gravel and 50% water fortnightly) to try and keep pristine conditions. Again no change to tail. I've noticed snails eating the tail rotting bits when he sits on the gravel, maybe that's why he's taken to higher places of late. Temp sits about 24.5 C, Ph I'll need to do another test but normally around 6.8. Catfish is about 5yo and I've never had any issue with either of them in this time. Damage has continued over 4 weeks. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Jacintta

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BHK3, I went to my LFS and had the water tested. Am sad to say unknown to me nitrate was 60ppm. Couldn't believe it. Considering tank was last cleaned 2 wks ago only thing LFS could suggest was overfeeding and/or build up in cannister filter. I did a major clean today and added nitra-zorb. Ph was about 7.2. Ammonia totally fine, can't remember reading they mentioned. Any other suggestions as to why nitrates might be so high?

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nitrates are high due to too many organics in the water.
Culprits: either over-feeding or too high a bio-load ( too many fish).
Up your water changes to 50% weekly. An easy fix.
In the meantime the Pleco needs some antibiotic, like today, before it turns into septicemia.
I would recommend kanamycin.

Jacintta

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Discusluv. I have some kanaplex so will look to treat in a quarantine tank.

Jacintta

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nitrates are high due to too many organics in the water.
Culprits: either over-feeding or too high a bio-load ( too many fish).
Up your water changes to 50% weekly. An easy fix.
In the meantime the Pleco needs some antibiotic, like today, before it turns into septicemia.
I would recommend kanamycin.
Does anyone have experience using kanamycin with bristlenose?

Jacintta

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh meant to say post LFS water results I did a 65% water change and major tank clean including canister filter and on recommendation of LFS added nitra-zorb to filter. Hopefully that sorts nitrates so now it's just down to treatment for the bristlenose.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure if your quarantine is not cycled that you do daily water changes to take care of rising ammonia and nitrites.
Dosing the kanamycin, it is best to do daily water changes even if cycled to keep the organics low so the medicine is more effective.
I have used kanamycin with bristlenose before, yes, they do fine with this med. Just make sure the quarantine is well aerated as well with airstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 23 67.6%

Top Bottom