Bristlenose Catfish Missing?

OreoTerror

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
34
HI guys,

My Bristlenose Catfish seems to be missing in my tank, I've lifted every pot and my large root system I have in the tank to no avail. She's also albino so I'm sure I'd be able to see her?

I was wondering if these guys can bury themselves in the sand? I have black sand substrate, my other bristlenose is doing great. Even if she had passed I'm sure I'd be able to see her body as she was quite large (4 1/2 inches)
 

blewishblue

Active Member
Member
Messages
148
Reaction score
99
Location
Desert Southwest
Experience
More than 10 years
They love to hide. In my experience they will dig and play in the sand but not so much completely bury themselves for long periods. When was the last time you saw her? Their bodies are very hard so if she died, it's unlikely she would have been consumed or fully decomposed as quickly as other fish...especially considering her size. Did you check all around the outside of your tank to make certain she didn't hop out? I hope she turns up!
 

Thatgirlinblack

Active Member
Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
18
OreoTerror said:
HI guys,

My Bristlenose Catfish seems to be missing in my tank, I've lifted every pot and my large root system I have in the tank to no avail. She's also albino so I'm sure I'd be able to see her?

I was wondering if these guys can bury themselves in the sand? I have black sand substrate, my other bristlenose is doing great. Even if she had passed I'm sure I'd be able to see her body as she was quite large (4 1/2 inches)
My advice, check your filter. My little **** head decides to climb over the lip of my hang on filter and just chill in the main chamber, if I have the water level resting on the lip. Depending on the size of your bristlenose, and especially if you have a hang on filter, you might find it just hanging out unharmed in your filter. (I once pulled my cheeky sod out of the filter 3 times in 2 days)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
OreoTerror

OreoTerror

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
34
I ended up finding her right at the top of my tank in the corner behind my out take pipe (I have a canister filter).. they're such funny fish I knew she had to be somewhere, and I did in fact look around on the floor around the tank just in case she crawled her way out!

Thanks guys!
 

Thatgirlinblack

Active Member
Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
18
OreoTerror said:
I ended up finding her right at the top of my tank in the corner behind my out take pipe (I have a canister filter).. they're such funny fish I knew she had to be somewhere, and I did in fact look around on the floor around the tank just in case she crawled her way out!

Thanks guys!
Glad to hear she's safe and sound after all, lols. And hey, next time she goes missing you have an idea of where to look!
 

blewishblue

Active Member
Member
Messages
148
Reaction score
99
Location
Desert Southwest
Experience
More than 10 years
Thatgirlinblack said:
Glad to hear she's safe and sound after all, lols. And hey, next time she goes missing you have an idea of where to look!
Oh that's so wonderful! Thank you for the update!
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,629
Reaction score
6,183
Location
North East Ohio…USA
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, my boy Beast had me convinced that he was a goner. I ripped the 150 apart and I found him. He gave me a "WHAT?" look.

I would love to see her. Can you post a shot of her?

This is my boy beast. He is 9 years old.
_MG_7052-Edit.0.jpg
 

Thatgirlinblack

Active Member
Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
18
Thunder_o_b said:
Yeah, my boy Beast had me convinced that he was a goner. I ripped the 150 apart and I found him. He gave me a "WHAT?" look.

I would love to see her. Can you post a shot of her?

This is my boy beast. He is 9 years old.
_MG_7052-Edit.0.jpg
Haha, my boyo Lewis is quite shy, and has never caused me problems. Mildred on the other hand...
Here's my Albino, my darling Lewis. He's only about a year old now, and has only just started to grow his bristles.

Oreo, do you have any photos of yours?? We'd love to see!!
 

Attachments

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,629
Reaction score
6,183
Location
North East Ohio…USA
Experience
More than 10 years
Thatgirlinblack said:
Haha, my boyo Lewis is quite shy, and has never caused me problems. Mildred on the other hand...
Here's my Albino, my darling Lewis. He's only about a year old now, and has only just started to grow his bristles.

Oreo, do you have any photos of yours?? We'd love to see!!
Nice photo. Thank you for posting.
Yes Oreo Terror, it would be great to see your little one

Thatgirlinblack would you mind if I did some editing to your photo? There is an aspect of it I would like to explore.
 

Thatgirlinblack

Active Member
Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
18
Thunder_o_b said:
Nice photo. Thank you for posting.
Yes Oreo Terror, it would be great to see your little one

Thatgirlinblack would you mind if I did some editing to your photo? There is an aspect of it I would like to explore.
I don't have an issue with it. What's up?
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,629
Reaction score
6,183
Location
North East Ohio…USA
Experience
More than 10 years
Thatgirlinblack said:
I don't have an issue with it. What's up?
Photography is my passion. I saw this in my mind looking at the shot.
I ran it through a couple of programs. I hope you approve.

IMG_20181015_074829252 2-Edit-Edit.2.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
OreoTerror

OreoTerror

Active Member
Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
34
Aw they’re both adorable! There’s something about catfish that makes them so funny.

Here’s my girl;

I just got her about 4 days ago, she's still behind the out take where I found her, I'm hoping she comes out to have some algae wafers.

3EF93BC7-6DF2-4F13-BAE1-577CF3AFB27A.jpeg
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,629
Reaction score
6,183
Location
North East Ohio…USA
Experience
More than 10 years
OreoTerror said:
Aw they’re both adorable! There’s something about catfish that makes them so funny.

Here’s my girl;

I just got her about 4 days ago, she's still behind the out take where I found her, I'm hoping she comes out to have some algae wafers.

3EF93BC7-6DF2-4F13-BAE1-577CF3AFB27A.jpeg
That is a very pretty ABN
 

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,019
Reaction score
2,924
Experience
More than 10 years
Thatgirlinblack said:
My advice, check your filter. My little **** head decides to climb over the lip of my hang on filter and just chill in the main chamber, if I have the water level resting on the lip. Depending on the size of your bristlenose, and especially if you have a hang on filter, you might find it just hanging out unharmed in your filter. (I once pulled my cheeky sod out of the filter 3 times in 2 days)
When my super reds were babies, they did that all the time. I got tired of dragging them out of the filter.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
131
Guests online
2,999
Total visitors
3,130

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom