bristlenose breeding problem

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by SwordtailDude, Dec 1, 2012.

1. S

SwordtailDude Valued Member Member

i have three bristlenose plecostomus, two males and a female, one of the male i got be accedent b/c i thought it was a female. i have had them for several months now and my female is very fat and has been almost since i got her and they still havent bred. i DO have a cave in which the dominant male stays in so i dont get to seen him all that much. can anyone give me a reason why they wont breed?

2. OP
    OP
    S

if needed i can post pictures

3. l

lizzj Valued Member Member

What size tank are they in?

4. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

Don't know if this helps, but good luck anyway!

Breeding common pleco in captivity is hard and only a small number of aquarists have managed to successfully raise common pleco fry in their aquariums. In the wild, the common pleco prefers to use caves along the river bank as spawning sites and such conditions are naturally quite hard to mimic in the aquarium. When common plecos are bred in captivity for the aquarium hobby, they are normally bred in ponds, not in aquariums.

One of the easier plecos to breed in captivity is the Bristlenose catfish ( Ancistrus dolichopterus ). This species does not need a cave along a river bed; it will happily breed in a normal stone cave or flowerpot in the aquarium. Make sure that you plecos are happy and healthy in the aquarium and keep them on a nutritious and varied diet. It is also important that you provide them with optimal conditions when it comes to water quality, water chemistry, and so on. If you are lucky, your couple will get into spawning mood and the male will attract the female to the cave. The female will deposit the eggs and the male will stay around after fertilization to care for the offspring. He will also chase away predators. After 4-8 days the eggs will hatch and the fry will be free swimming within another 4-6 days.

5. OP
    OP
    S

29 gal but i am getting a bigger one around feburary pssibly a 75 to 100 gallons

6. l

Mine spawn all the time. Like the article above...keep the water clean and feed them well. Mine love green beans. Good luck, hope they spawn for you soon.

7. OP
    OP
    S

could they be diff. types of bristlenose because they were in diff. holding spaces or does it even matter

8. l

Which type of bristlenose do you have? If you wan to post some pics, that may help.

9. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Nah, most BN breed the same it seems. Just give them plenty of options. Get some PVC in there(cap one end) some more terracotta pots and other caves. A good varied diet of veggies and some proteins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice