Bristlenose breeding guide for color

BradleyQ

I am trying to figure out what color combinations of bristlenose will make. I have a male albino, a female albino and a red in my 29 gal. I think the 2 albinos bred. In my other tank I have a female albino and want to get a black male to breed reds, will this work?

I want to make a red pleco by breeding an albino female and black male, will this work?

BigManAquatics

I think you would have a better shot with a red male, but i really don't have a clue when it comes to genetics.

e_watson09

It is going to depend on what genetics the parents carry. Not all genetics can be visibly seen. Generally you can't fully predict colors until you've had a few generations. Then you'll know what genes they likely carry.

Demeter

Not at all. Albinos are simply albino browns (in most cases). All you will get is more browns and if the male carries the albino gene, some albinos. I suggest doing some more researching on genetics before you start breeding for certain color forms.

To get super reds you will need to cross 2 super reds or a calico to a super red. Breeding 2 calicos may also give you reds but not very many.

It may be helpful to check out my BN pleco breeding thread.
Bristlenose Pleco Spawn Log | Breeding Fish Forum | 476531

SparkyJones

No, it won't work.
The Super Red Bushy Nose Pleco is produced from selective breeding of the naturally occurring red color variant of the Bush Nose Pleco. line breeding for the reddest examples. and breeding them together. so through selective line breeding of Bushy Nose Pleco that exhibited more red coloration than brown, the Super Red variant was developed.

You'd need to buy a super red male and a super red female. and you will get super red offspring. other wise you need to start with bushynose plecos, and select only the reddest ones of the offspring and line breed them to nail down the red coloration trait and strong color, and then try to outcross to bring in new genetics and then solidify the red trait again to not have inbreeding problems appear.

easier to buy a male from one breeder and a female from another and hope they aren't related and start with two super reds. personally, I'd try to outcross with longfin, or blue eyes, and try to get males and females with those traits. to line breed to solidify the traits, If I were gonna do it. maybe get something unique. don't know if getting blue eyes is possible though, I think the Blue eye lemon is albino or something, and you can't have Albino with red. together.

DoubleDutch

No, it won't work.
The Super Red Bushy Nose Pleco is produced from selective breeding of the naturally occurring red color variant of the Bush Nose Pleco. line breeding for the reddest examples. and breeding them together. so through selective line breeding of Bushy Nose Pleco that exhibited more red coloration than brown, the Super Red variant was developed.

You'd need to buy a super red male and a super red female. and you will get super red offspring. other wise you need to start with bushynose plecos, and select only the reddest ones of the offspring and line breed them to nail down the red coloration trait and strong color, and then try to outcross to bring in new genetics and then solidify the red trait again to not have inbreeding problems appear.

easier to buy a male from one breeder and a female from another and hope they aren't related and start with two super reds. personally, I'd try to outcross with longfin, or blue eyes, and try to get males and females with those traits. to line breed to solidify the traits, If I were gonna do it. maybe get something unique. don't know if getting blue eyes is possible though, I think the Blue eye lemon is albino or something, and you can't have Albino with red. together.
Blue eyes Lemons aren't albinos.
From albinos you won't get blue eyed fish. And even two albinos could have brown fry (there are two different albino gens to keep it simple)

SparkyJones

Blue eyes Lemons aren't albinos.
From albinos you won't get blue eyed fish. And even two albinos could have brown fry (there are two different albino gens to keep it simple)
Well yes, blue eye lemon isn't albino it's Xanthic or Leucistic or Flavistic , similar sort of thing ...I think Xanthic or Amelenistic? .Just easier to say I don't think you could get the blue eyes without the yellow skin, so you couldn't get the red morph with blue eyes.

DoubleDutch

Well yes, blue eye lemon isn't albino it's Xanthic or Leucistic or Flavistic , similar sort of thing ...I think Xanthic or Amelenistic? .Just easier to say I don't think you could get the blue eyes without the yellow skin, so you couldn't get the red morph with blue eyes.
Xanthic indeed

qldmick

Just some first hand experience, I had an albino and calico BN breed and 100% were normal (brown).
I thought reds were developed from calicos, I'm not certain but have seen calicos bred from red parents being being sold.

SparkyJones

I'm far from an expert on Plecos, I had a zebra angelfish once, was pink and yellow along the stripe pattern, looked like a platinum when it was younger but as it matured and the color developed it became quite an amazing coloration I'd never seen before, I really wish I could find the pictures of her.... it was however sterile I believe, none of her eggs ever took even changing males. Anyways this is what got me into these genetic variants like albino and xanthic and all the others that could appear. because of that fish.

I found on a website and it's far from exactly scientific. it's all the same species, just selectively line bred for certain traits:
Bristlenose Pleco Color Gene

1. BrBn, Brown Bristlenose Pleco
  2. BlkBn, Black Bristlenose Pleco
  3. Abn1, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
  4. Abn2, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
  5. YlBnBlu, Yellow-Ancistrus Blue-eye Bristlenose Pleco
  6. YlBnBk, Yellow-Ancistrus Black-eye Bristlenose Pleco
  7. CaBn, Calico Bristlenose Pleco
  8. OrBn, Orange Bristlenose Pleco
  9. PbBn, Piebald Bristlenose
  10. SrBn, Super Red Bristlenose Pleco
  11. GdBn, Green Dragon Bristlenose Pleco
  12. Finage Genes
  13. BnLf, Long-fin Bristlenose Pleco Gene
  14. ABnLf, Albino Long-fin Bristlenose Pleco
  15. BrBnLf, Brown Long-fin Bristlenose Pleco
  16. VtBn, Veiltail Bristlenose Pleco Gene
  17. AbVBn, Albino Veiltail Pleco
  18. BrVbn, Brown Veiltail Pleco
  19. GdBn, Green Dragon Veiltail Pleco
I would like to see If I could get a zanthic Zebra male and Female Angelfish, and spawn them to see if I could get at least a couple Xanthic from the spawn and then inbreed them again, to maybe increase the xanthic trait appearing, But I've only ever had or ever seen the one fish, and it didn't look the way it did as an adult when it was dime sized when I bought it. I don't think anyone is breeding for it, but then again, it might also be impossible to spawn them. I don't know. But yeah, the pleco list is all line breeding Ancistrus Plecos to manifest certain traits.

There's at least some suspicion that some of those varieties are hybrids of mixing Ancistus genus plecos, of which there are 76 species. and that they all aren't just simply suppressed color or fin variants caused by natural selection reappearing FWIW. i don't know one way or the other.

oh and yeah, unless you know the genetics of the lineage, that the fish are in fact purebred, you could take two calico or two super red and wind up with a bunch of brown commons. you'd need to really hunt down pure genetics to use to have a good shot of getting the color or finnage you are looking for, but randomly it can express if it's in the genetics.

anyone really interested, look up "mendellion genetics", its some fun material and if really interested it will take you down the genetic rabbit hole.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Jessielee83
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views