Bristlenose And Carpet Plants

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think my Bristlenose pleco is uprooting my crypt parva and dwarf baby tears which is driving me crazy because they're really hard to keep rooted in my fluval aqua soil substrate. I tear my hair out day after day replanting them because it takes minutes to get one little teeny sprig of baby tears to stay in the soil.

So...

Should I just give up on these plants?

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For me, the fun of a tank is relaxing. If you are having to fight your little buddy to leave them alone, well...

619CoryFan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I felt the same way about a couple carpeting plants ice tried. Dwarf hairgrass and baby sagitariaas. My cory's and snails kept up rooting them. And I keep damaging them trying to plant them back. I eventually gave up on them.. I wanna replace them with crypts but they're expensive in my area.

619CoryFan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have an extra tank and patience... You can move your pleco in a separate tank and put him back once the plants have settled in. Although that can take a couple months... If you have co2, maybe a few weeks.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have removed the carpeting plants from the front centre of my tank because my Bristlenoses like to feed there.

The plants were a barrier to
them.
18.02.06 Ancistrus Bristlenose Catfish Cube Steve Joul - Copy.jpg

New fishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had to go with plants I could attactto decor with my plecos the closest thing to carpeting that works for me is Java moss on ornaments and driftwood. Most things get plowed into and pulled up.

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like I might abandon the baby tears but I think I'm going to give my parva a chance to develop better root systems and then replant them.

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: I glued my crypt parva down to a thing that comes wrapped around plants from my LFS and it's working so far... One plant was knocked off and floated up but the others are still in the substrate.

Alternate problem: My betta is now eating the zucchini that I'm giving my pleco. Pleco ate all of his zucchini quarter last night except the green peel and some seeds and I caught Fergus eating the seeds this morning. He must have been eating it for a while because now he's bloated. He's now in his feeder in quarantine. (I have to separate him from the cardinals I have in the tank using a floating breeder box or he eats all their food.)

Authmal

Valued Member
Reaction score
My BN uproots all kinds of plants. Makes me want to rehome him sometimes, but not really. Ya know? He can be very frustrating with that behavior.

619CoryFan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: I glued my crypt parva down to a thing that comes wrapped around plants from my LFS and it's working so far... One plant was knocked off and floated up but the others are still in the substrate.

Alternate problem: My betta is now eating the zucchini that I'm giving my pleco. Pleco ate all of his zucchini quarter last night except the green peel and some seeds and I caught Fergus eating the seeds this morning. He must have been eating it for a while because now he's bloated. He's now in his feeder in quarantine. (I have to separate him from the cardinals I have in the tank using a floating breeder box or he eats all their food.)

I bought a small bag of black rocks from petco and glued them onto my plants. It's perfect size/weight for your black substrate. It's only 2 bucks for about 50 rocks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom