Bristle nose pleco out of algea/food to eat

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
what can i feed him?
i have lettuce in my tank, and all the fish seem to be eating it...never seen the pleco eat any...but he mostly hids during the day! and also i've tried avocado..no one liked that, and cucmber they sort of liked..out of those three lettuce has most definetly been the most succesful!
should i just leave lettuce always at the bottom of the tank?
or h ow can i make algea?

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
They'll accept any kind of sinking wafers/pellets. My plecos love Hikari algae wafers. Since they are nocturnal, try dropping their food in right before or even after the lights have been out in the tank for a while. At that point the other fish will be asleep and the pleco should have first dibbs on the food. I've also found that they enjoy cucumber and zucchini.

Even if the tank has lots of algae growth in it, you still should supplement their diet with any of the food choices I mentioned. Variety is a good thing, and a healthy thing.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My plecos love zucchini. You will have to weigh it down though with something. You can stab it with a fork and drop it in if you don't have anything else. Some folks blanch their zucchini or nuke it for a few seconds in the microwave. This never worked for me. I weigh mine down with a screwcumber. Mine also like sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots and yellow squash. You will just have to try different veggies to see what he will eat.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All of my Plecos love zucchini, broccoli melons and Omega One Veggie wafers
Carol

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow...do they eat the skin/peeling on the last picture?
because they ate some cucumber but refused to eat the peeling and the seeds..

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine eat everything except the seeds
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years