Bristle-nose Pleco Or Chinese Algae Eater

• Thread starter Artemis2
  • Start date

Artemis2

Hello everyone I need some help on making the best decision on type of fish I should get. I am stuck between a Bristle-nose Pleco or Chinese Algae Eater. I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 2 goldfish each about 5 inches(before any of y'all tell me they are not in the correct size tank I know that are not but until my family finishes building a pond for them in our backyard they will be living in the tank). I have an algae problem light it limited to less than 6 hrs already with 10-20% water changes once a week. In these water changes I use an algae control chemical to keep it from getting to bad. I have tried snails and they work great for a while but the goldfish eat them after a few months. So I have been suggested to get a Bristle-nose Pleco or Chinese Algae Eater, upon all the research that I have done on both I am in quite a pickle and don't know which one will be better suited for my tank and help me keep the algae a little bit lower. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Doesn't mind as long it is a BN!

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
I honestly would not recommend either at this point. If you have two large fish in a small tank that could be your problem.. maybe the nitrates are high?? Do you know what they sit at? Also I would definitely up the water changes to at least 40 to 50 percent if you are only doing a weekly change!!

Artemis2

Smalltownfishfriend said:
I honestly would not recommend either at this point. If you have two large fish in a small tank that could be your problem.. maybe the nitrates are high?? Do you know what they sit at? Also I would definitely up the water changes to at least 40 to 50 percent if you are only doing a weekly change!!
It is the problem I know but at this rate I just need it to hold out a little longer(1-2years) before the pond is done. I can't get a bigger tank as it will violates my leasing contract. The nitrates are where they are supposed to be, wouldn't a 40-50% change impact my water cycle?

DoubleDutch said:
Doesn't mind as long it is a BN!
What is a BN?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Artemis2 said:
It is the problem I know but at this rate I just need it to hold out a little longer(1-2years) before the pond is done. I can't get a bigger tank as it will violates my leasing contract. The nitrates are where they are supposed to be, wouldn't a 40-50% change impact my water cycle?
Gotcha!! I vote a bristlenose then cuz they are quite nice!! As for the water changes affecting your cycle, as long as you don't clean the filter you will be fine!!! I do a 40 percent or so water change once a week and it never hurt my cycle, as most of the bacteria lives in the filter, not the water column!!

Artemis2

Smalltownfishfriend said:
Gotcha!! I vote a bristlenose then cuz they are quite nice!! As for the water changes affecting your cycle, as long as you don't clean the filter you will be fine!!! I do a 40 percent or so water change once a week and it never hurt my cycle, as most of the bacteria lives in the filter, not the water column!!
Would you have any other suggestions besides these 2 types of fish that will be a better fit?

Lacey D

Well Known
I don't believe Chinese Algae Eaters actually do much to eat algae, despite their name, and want warmer water than your goldfish (Chinese Algae Eater Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding, Diet and Behavior). Bristlenose are happier in the colder water, will eat algae their entire lives, but produce a LOT of waste. I would up your water changes to 20%, 2 times a week if you go that route, to compensate: Bristlenose Pleco Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding, Diet and Behavior

Have you tried larger snails like nerites or mystery?

(But also, in my opinion, other than being unsightly algae is NOT an issue. Do a tank black-out for a few days, cut back on your goldie's food, and do more/larger water changes. Get a pothos for the filter. Make sure you have sufficient aeration. In ponds, koI and other carp keepers consider algae to be a sign of good health and essential for the fish. It's doing its job in eating your extra nitrates )

Artemis2

Lacey D said:
I don't believe Chinese Algae Eaters actually do much to eat algae, despite their name, and want warmer water than your goldfish (Chinese Algae Eater Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding, Diet and Behavior). Bristlenose are happier in the colder water, will eat algae their entire lives, but produce a LOT of waste. I would up your water changes to 20%, 2 times a week if you go that route, to compensate: Bristlenose Pleco Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding, Diet and Behavior

Have you tried larger snails like nerites or mystery?

(But also, in my opinion, other than being unsightly algae is NOT an issue. Do a tank black-out for a few days, cut back on your goldie's food, and do more/larger water changes. Get a pothos for the filter. Make sure you have sufficient aeration. In ponds, koI and other carp keepers consider algae to be a sign of good health and essential for the fish. It's doing it's job in eating your extra nitrates )
Got it do you have an other suggestions on a better type of fish? I've looked at otos but don't know if they are big enough that my goldfish won't eat them. I have tried them both and they are amazing but both have been eaten by my goldfish. I don't think algae is an issue I'm just trying to limit the amount I usually spend (at least a few hrs) to get the algae off. I was also told that ram snails might be a good route to go as well but haven't done much research on them.

Lacey D

Well Known
Artemis2 said:
Got it do you have an other suggestions on a better type of fish? I've looked at otos but don't know if they are big enough that my goldfish won't eat them. I have tried tried them both and they are amazing but both have been eaten by my goldfish.
Not really--as far as algae eating fish go, bn plecos are really your best bet for your tank size. But you can get rid of the algae with out adding another fish to an already overstocked tank.

Artemis2

Would it be better just to get one
Lacey D said:
Not really--as far as algae eating fish go, bn plecos are really your best bet for your tank size. But you can get rid of the algae with out adding another fish to an already overstocked tank.

I have tried all of that to try and get rid of the algae but I'm at the mercy of the fish. If I change the water more and put a bn pleco in they should be fine right? Would you suggest only one or two? Male or female?

Rancore

Bristlenose, but as already stated, in a small tank with messy fish and only 20% water changes. Not sure if it’s a good idea

Most fish ideally thrive in nitrates under 20 by the way, lower the better.

Artemis2

Rancore said:
Bristlenose, but as already stated, in a small tank with messy fish and only 20% water changes. Not sure if it’s a good idea

Most fish ideally thrive in nitrates under 20 by the way, lower the better.
My nitrates are lower than that when I check it it last Friday. Do you have any other suggestions on what to do? Chemicals have been done, limiting light, doing more water changes, putting snails in all have been tried.

KKM

Male BN are quite territorial so stick with one. At the size you typically get them (1-2”), you can’t tell the gender, but it doesn’t affect their algae eating abilities so you’re good with male or female.

Artemis2

Do I have to have drift wood in the tank for BN?

Top Bottom