Bringing Out The Red In Ludwigia

Shawntelle

Reaction score
i wnt to bring out the red in my plnts. I was going to get iron but now i dont know from the mixed information ive read. I already dose thrive, flourish excel, and aquarium optimizer.

Lovecich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Excel has iron, because I had the same question just this morning. Since you're adding Thrive also, you should have the minerals covered already. However, maybe someone can suggest yet another source of iron if it's important to have more.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Iron for red plants, commonly repeated but backed by no evidence.
Red is primarily caused by intense light, and in some certain species, nitrogen limitation

Excel has iron, because I had the same question just this morning. Since you're adding Thrive also, you should have the minerals covered already. However, maybe someone can suggest yet another source of iron if it's important to have more.
Excel does not have iron, it just claims to promote a ferrous state of iron the water

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All are correct. However, do keep in mind, NOT to overdose iron, as that can and may just lead to unruly algae blooms. Also, most plants (red colored or not) usually cannot fully and efficiently absorb doses iron without its counterpart, potassium.

And not all red plants need brighter lighting to maintain their red coloration. Heavier doses iron only really enhances said red coloration, it’s not 100% necessary to maintain it, but yes, it does help, as does CO2. I’ve grown Ludwigia Red under medium light, but WITH CO2 injection, and it was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julabean

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i wnt to bring out the red in my plnts. I was going to get iron but now i dont know from the mixed information ive read. I already dose thrive, flourish excel, and aquarium optimizer.
Hello Shawntelle. I had the same question about whether or not adding iron would help bring out the red in my plants. I bought some Easy Iron from Aquarium Co-Op (they are my go-to company for plants and fertilizers). The directions state to use one pump per 10 gallons, but even though I have a 30 gallon long, I have all of my red plants in the left 3rd of the tank. Seeing how my green plants don't need iron, I use an 18mL syringe, fill it with 2cc and inject it right into the substrate where the plants are. It seems to be working because the red is getting redder.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello Shawntelle. I had the same question about whether or not adding iron would help bring out the red in my plants. I bought some Easy Iron from Aquarium Co-Op (they are my go-to company for plants and fertilizers). The directions state to use one pump per 10 gallons, but even though I have a 30 gallon long, I have all of my red plants in the left 3rd of the tank. Seeing how my green plants don't need iron, I use an 18mL syringe, fill it with 2cc and inject it right into the substrate where the plants are. It seems to be working because the red is getting redder.
Green plants need the same amount of iron as red plants

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 6 16.2%

Top Bottom