Bringing Down High Nitrates - Help Please

Cjmerk

Reaction score
I put sand 1st then I put the rock and yes I rinse sand out. My tank is a yr old or more
When you put you tank together did you first place the sand down then the rock or put the sand after the rock?

It sounds to me like it is a detritus issue which is continually leaking into the aquarium. Could be built up under the rock work. Could be in the sand.

Did you rinse the sand when you set your tank up? How old is the tank?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For future reference, it is safer to put the rocks in the tank before the sand. Due to the shifting nature of sand, particularly with fish and other critters the burrow into the sand, there is a possibility of the rocks shifting as sand is moved under them. I can't say I've actually heard of this happening, but it seems to me that the consequences might be catastrophic, so it's just good advice to follow.

Wishing you luck with the work ahead. Please keep us posted. Also, (I'm so sorry if I haven't said this before), welcome to Fishlore! Our salty crowd is a little small but we like nothing more than helping others and thus, doing our small part of furthering the hobby. I'm so sorry for the troubles you're having, and I hope you stick around, share some pics and share the happy times I hope you'll soon be having with your tank.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put sand 1st then I put the rock and yes I rinse sand out. My tank is a yr old or more
I have seen detritus accumulate under the rock like that before. As stella said it is safer to place the rocks first then the sand so that it settles correctly and will not shift down the line.

are your nitrates still going up?

Cjmerk

Reaction score
I have seen detritus accumulate under the rock like that before. As stella said it is safer to place the rocks first then the sand so that it settles correctly and will not shift down the line.

are your nitrates still going up?
Yes they are still up very high. Jus lost a eel this morning. I did another water change and vacuum the substrate real well got it all clean up. I'm jus getting home now so I'm about to test my water

Cjmerk

Reaction score
I dnt knw what to do I'm losing everything. So I've moved my white spotted bamboo shark to a plastic tub and did a water change on my reef tank and I acclimate him to that water. So he is doing fine. So all that's left in my tank is a dog face puffer and a snowflake. And they are acting weird. Puffer is crashing into everything so is the eel

thesoulpatch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How big of a wc are you doing each time? because you have to think if you're only taking 25-40% of the water each time you're barely reducing any of the nitrate. If you can do the largest wc possible like 75-90 and then test the water.

Cjmerk

Reaction score
I did more than half. Like 75%
How big of a wc are you doing each time? because you have to think if you're only taking 25-40% of the water each time you're barely reducing any of the nitrate. If you can do the largest wc possible like 75-90 and then test the water.

thesoulpatch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I assume then you do not have any HOB equipment, a sump, or any type of all in one system correct?

Edit: also how old is your test kit? I'm not saying its messed up but checking with another kit could help too...But i get it since you're loosing fish. Throwing all sorts of options your way..

Cjmerk

Reaction score
I'm running with a sump. And the test kit is fine cause I test my reef tank with it and I have little to none nitrates
So I assume then you do not have any HOB equipment, a sump, or any type of all in one system correct?

Edit: also how old is your test kit? I'm not saying its messed up but checking with another kit could help too...But i get it since you're loosing fish. Throwing all sorts of options your way..

thesoulpatch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Check on reef2reef see if they can help you out? Not saying this site cant but they also have a very helpful community there aswell!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom