Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Bringing Betta Home

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by RobinIsACattto, Apr 4, 2019.

1. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Hello!

Tuesday I tested and my tank was all zeroed except for nitrates. Double checked by putting in a bunch of dr Tim's ammonium chloride-- yeah, it's cycled. From like 8 to 0 in ~18 hrs (probably overkill but eh better to have too much).

Anyways, that's not the point. The point is I'm not sure what to do when I bring the betta home (like, what the first day will look like). I know to acclimate the fish and I'll be getting some hortwort so I'll just take it out of the bag and drop it in (hortwort doesn't have to be tied down, right?), but what else? Do I just do my normal feeding cycle? Lights on or off (I have live plants)? Does the tank area have to be quiet for a day or two?

Thanks for any help

~Robin

2. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

You'll want to temp acclimate the hornwort by floating the bag on the top of the tank.

You can offer food after at least 2 hours, but its not necessary and he may not take it.

Lights should remain off for at least 3-4 hours.

I'm not certain what you mean by quite? If you're just talking about activity outside of the tank it should be fine, just kind of leave his tank alone. No banging or taking to many photos.

3. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Thank you for the help.

Never temp acclimated plants before, are there any benefits? I put in my anubias and crypts right from bag to tank and they seemed fine aside from the typical crypt melt.

By quiet I mean should I be quiet in the room the tank is in (such as no friends over in the room; no loud talking, etc.). I know for hamsters the cage's room should be quiet for the first few days so I was wondering if I should do the same for a betta. Probably a stupid question, sorry about that :/

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I believe acclimating just allows there to be less melt and such since there’s no temperature shock as wel as parameter shock. It’s not necessary, but I do believe it to be beneficial to some degree.

It’s not a stupid question. No, it should be fine to have friends over such. Just maybe give the tank a little space from the commotion (like primarily stay a foot or two away from it). If things get to hectic you can always cover it with a blanket or towel and this will help as well.

5. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Alright, tsym!