Bringing aquarium to different location?

Lana1049

Alright, so because of this current situation that I’m in, I’m going to my second household for an unprecedented amount of time with my family to keep us away from the main spot of the virus where it keeps getting worse. The house is four hours away tops, and we will be there until it gets better back here. I’ve decided that the best way to handle this is to transport my aquarium and fish there with me, and I cannot get anything shipped to me because I am leaving tomorrow. Are there any tips for me? I know fish can be shipped, and am doing loads of research on it, but I would love to hear your guys’ input on how I could do this! I don’t, however, have bags they use in aquarium shops to hold the fish in, so that’s my main concern. How to keep the water at a stable temperature is one, too. Keep in mind this usually takes about 3 1/2 hours to drive, and I will have to set the tank up when I get there. Thank you so much!

Dewclaw83

Alright, so because of this current situation that I’m in, I’m going to my second household for an unprecedented amount of time with my family to keep us away from the main spot of the virus where it keeps getting worse. The house is four hours away tops, and we will be there until it gets better back here. I’ve decided that the best way to handle this is to transport my aquarium and fish there with me, and I cannot get anything shipped to me because I am leaving tomorrow. Are there any tips for me? I know fish can be shipped, and am doing loads of research on it, but I would love to hear your guys’ input on how I could do this! I don’t, however, have bags they use in aquarium shops to hold the fish in, so that’s my main concern. How to keep the water at a stable temperature is one, too. Keep in mind this usually takes about 3 1/2 hours to drive, and I will have to set the tank up when I get there. Thank you so much!
What size is the tank? How many fish and of what kind? How are you traveling there?

If you’re driving it’ll be easier to take the fish with you than shipping them

Lana1049

It’s a 20 gallon long, with 1 clown pleco, five Oto catfish, two silvertip and 5 glow light tetras, and two krib cichlids. Oh, and I also have plants but that won’t be hard to take care of.
And I don’t mean to ship them heh, sorry I probably misspoke.

GlennO

I've used a cooler to transport fish with a battery powered air pump. Temp shouldn't drop too much in your car. You'll need a separate container for your filter media, don't let it dry out.

Dewclaw83

It’s a 20 gallon long, with 1 clown pleco, five Oto catfish, two silvertip and 5 glow light tetras, and two krib cichlids. Oh, and I also have plants but that won’t be hard to take care of.
So the way I’d do it (I take tanks back and forth to college all the time):

1. Remove fish to transport containers. I use old cleaned out trail mix containers that are about 1/2 gallon and I have drilled a few small holes in the lid for airflow (The motion of the car will agitate the surface enough for a little gas exchange). You can add a few plants in with them too for comfort. Use tank water in them as well. They’ll be fine with a temp change for a while.
Edit: you can use a cooler like the other person suggested, but since there’s no airflow, You will want an air pump or something for that. I prefer to collect my random 1/2 gallon jars and use those with holes drilled in the lids. They could be smaller too, mine just happen to be 1/2 gallon. If you use several, you can arrange the fish however you think they’ll get along, but they’ll likely be too preoccupied to fight or anything

2236A842-D2F2-4351-969B-C98BC5001EA4.jpeg

2. Siphon out ~3-5 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket (mines just from Lowe’s and is my water change bucket)

3. Put plants, filter media, any decor, and some of the substrate in the water in the bucket from step 2 (you don’t have to put the substrate in, but it’ll help lighten the load in your tank). If you’ve got a lid, put that on it. If you don’t, Saran Wrap the top

4. Get rid of the rest of the water from your tank. You can leave a little if you want to keep the remaining substrate wet, but it’ll be heavy. If you leave water in, Saran Wrap the top as best you can to keep it from splashing out

5. toss any dry goods (light/filter/heater/food/dechlorinator/etc) in a bag for transport

And you’re ready to go!

Lana1049

So the way I’d do it (I take tanks back and forth to college all the time):

1. Remove fish to transport containers. I use old cleaned out trail mix containers that are about 1/2 gallon and I have drilled a few small holes in the lid for airflow (The motion of the car will agitate the surface enough for a little gas exchange). You can add a few plants in with them too for comfort. Use tank water in them as well. They’ll be fine with a temp change for a while.
Edit: you can use a cooler like the other person suggested, but since there’s no airflow, You will want an air pump or something for that. I prefer to collect my random 1/2 gallon jars and use those with holes drilled in the lids. They could be smaller too, mine just happen to be 1/2 gallon. If you use several, you can arrange the fish however you think they’ll get along, but they’ll likely be too preoccupied to fight or anything

2236A842-D2F2-4351-969B-C98BC5001EA4.jpeg

2. Siphon out ~3-5 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket (mines just from Lowe’s and is my water change bucket)

3. Put plants, filter media, any decor, and some of the substrate in the water in the bucket from step 2 (you don’t have to put the substrate in, but it’ll help lighten the load in your tank)

4. Get ride of the rest of the water from your tank. You can leave a little if you want to keep the remaining substrate wet, but it’ll be heavy. If you leave water in, Saran Wrap the top as best you can to keep it from splashing out

5. toss any dry goods (light/filter/heater/food/dechlorinator/etc) in a bag for transport

And you’re ready to go!
Thank you so much! This really helps

Dewclaw83

Thank you so much! This really helps
Like I said, I move fish a lot

californiascape

Dewclaw covered most of it, but I'll add that you should drain the tank as much as possible and slide it onto a wood board the size of your tank's base LxW". That way, when you are moving the tank, instead of all the pressure being put on the glass seams, the weight is nicely dispersed on the wood plank.

I lost a 5g by transporting it without a board under once. Even though it was completely drained, the pressure on the seams made it spring a leak and I had to take it down and resilicone the tank myself. I really is worth the precaution!

Lana1049

Dewclaw covered most of it, but I'll add that you should drain the tank as much as possible and slide it onto a wood board the size of your tank's base LxW". That way, when you are moving the tank, instead of all the pressure being put on the glass seams, the weight is nicely dispersed on the wood plank.

I lost a 5g by transporting it without a board under once. Even though it was completely drained, the pressure on the seams made it spring a leak and I had to take it down and resilicone the tank myself. I really is worth the precaution!
Thanks, definitely keeping that in mind

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lojack
  • Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
Fishkeeping7777