Bringing An Old Tank Back To Life

MatthewContri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So a little while ago I picked up this, what I believe is a 125g glass tank with stand (72" L x 24" H x 18 1/8" W, with 5/16" glass). I am not in a huge rush to get this tank up and running as both the cabinet and the tank are projects I am going to overhaul and hopefully look great once I am done.

The cabinet and the canopy, I am going to reinforce and add some side shelves to the cabinet as well as adding new base board as well as making the place where the tank sits more sturdy and completely solid.
20190702_211115.jpg

The tank is in ok shape, I hated that blue paint the previous owner splashed sloppingly on so I stripped that stuff off first thing, but the silicon has to be taken out and resealed, also the trim is in bad shape which has to go. The glass is kind of cloudy and there are some scratches towards the bottom of the tank and elbow grease was not working so I took to cerium oxide and that stuff is working great actually.

I have 2 questions at this time: The first being the cross beam of glass in the middle of the tank, when I reseal the tank would it be a good idea to also strip the silicon from that beam and reseal it as well? It is honestly the only great looking silicon on the tank. And the second question is regarding the trim, I know someone that is willing and able to weld a medal trim for me, is metal a better way to go or should I stick with the plastic stuff?

20190714_205514.jpg 20190714_205519.jpg 20190714_205531.jpg

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How well do you trust your siliconing skills? I would reseal the center support as well because I would trust my own work on a large tank since it sounds neglected. I know metal used to be used for aquarium trims however I believe they were phased out because of the combination of water, metal, and electricity caused some issues. I’ve never personally owned one though so maybe one of our more tenured members can chime in

MatthewContri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How well do you trust your siliconing skills? I would reseal the center support as well because I would trust my own work on a large tank since it sounds neglected. I know metal used to be used for aquarium trims however I believe they were phased out because of the combination of water, metal, and electricity caused some issues. I’ve never personally owned one though so maybe one of our more tenured members can chime in
I have used silicone in the past (way past) but I figure since I have time and in no rush if I mess up I can just redo it after testing for leaks. I am going to go black silicone since I really am starting to like that look.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have used silicone in the past (way past) but I figure since I have time and in no rush if I mess up I can just redo it after testing for leaks. I am going to go black silicone since I really am starting to like that look.
Ooo, very nice. Best of luck getting a clean edge with the black, I’m excited to see how it looks. My mom took the same approach and she was really happy with her 29 after she re-sealed it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom