Help Bringing A New 25 Gallon Tank On-line

Tony_P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Today, 11 August, I started up a 25 gallon Sea Star tank. We rinsed and put in the gravel and put in a few ornaments and the pump. I have added water and then enough conditioner, 25 ml, and after 15 minutes of circulating I added 25 ml of bacteria. When I do my 50% (-ish) water change from my 10 gallon, I plan to add that water to the 25 gallon after removing 5 gallon or so.

I have a question about filter media. and bacteria. Both have Aqueon filters, but they are of course different sizes. In order to get bacteria percolating, can I just set the old/ used media from 10 in the 25 when I do the water change? Then when I do the next change in the 25, remove the old media from the 10 and toss it and of course change the the 25's media.

I have not added any plants and wasn't thinking of doing that until Friday the 16th - 5 days from now -- after I do the water change.

I don't plan on adding any fish until at least the end of August, although I was thinking about transferring a few assassin snails over next week, although I don't know what they'd eat.

Am I on a good path?

Oh - I plan to stock this tank with some platies and/or mollies and/or glofish - some cories -- some otos -- and a mystery snail or some such.

Tony

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So moving water tank to tank does almost nothing, but filter media is a different story! I’d look at the filtration section of the forum and make your own insert. Those Aqueons don’t hold enough bacteria from change to change in my opinion and have no bio-media as far as I know.

Plants are fine anytime as are most snails. Mystery snails produce a ton of waste, so consider that before mixing one with live bearers. Between the population growth and snail, it can be too much very quickly.

Tony_P

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is now up and percolating with some 2 Sterbeis, 6 Cherry Barbs, a Cory, and some snails. Originally I had 3 sterbeis but one went fins up within an hour and my local shop didn't have any replacements, so they gave me a cory

BUT --- I have a stowaway, too. Its a fry that must have come in from the plants. I think it is a guppy but as for now it is of undermined species and gender. I hope it doesn't become lunch for someone as it will be neat to watch it grow.

Tony

Mizzom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had a stowaway once from plants too. I even had some water lettuce in the top of the tank for it to hide in. I was so excited to watch it grow, but it didn't take long for my angelfish to find it. I hope you have better luck with your little guy.

Tony_P

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had a stowaway once from plants too. I even had some water lettuce in the top of the tank for it to hide in. I was so excited to watch it grow, but it didn't take long for my angelfish to find it. I hope you have better luck with your little guy.
Sorry to hear that. Little Stowaway seems to be doing just find. I transfered some guppies over from my 10 gallon so he/ she has some playmates and they all seem to e having fun.

Plus I tranfers my corries (mama Bronzie, daddy Blondie, and their kid Baby Corrie) and within a day, it was veritable cory orgy! Within a few hours I had eggs all over the glass. We'll see if get kittens out of it. After all that mama Bronzie hid beneath a leaf after being chased around for an hour.

Tony

Tony_P

Valued Member
Reaction score
After 2 and a half weeks, things seem to moving along. The ph is 7.6, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is .5 and Nitrate is 10. The fish seem to be happy and perky, so I am thinking that things are cycling as they should. Been doing a 50% water change every 2 days and treating with Stability daily and Prime on days when I do the water change.

Ammonia had been an issue but I am happy that it is down, so my concern now is the Nitritres.

Am I on a good path?

Tony

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom