Brine Shrimp Tank?

1. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Hello all,
    Recently I have been planning on what to put in my 4 gallon tank, and I hace been looking at a betta or a killifish. However, I can't do that until after my holiday because I can't afford more than 2 auto feeders and there is no one to come in and feed them so I was considering doing a brine shrimp tank until then, not only as a source of food but also because they are quite cute.
    So here is what I have planned so far, please input what I will need or could get.
    -4 gallon tank
    -adjustable heater
    - filter (should I keep this in the tank or not?)
    - possible air pump if needed
    -non iodised sodium chloride
    - general decor (plants substrate etc)
    - live brine shrimp (not eggs)
    So what should I feed them? I have read that spirulina algae is good but will finely crushed pellets do?
    How much salt do I need per litre?
    If I buy a few bags of live brine shrimp from amazon, how do I acclimate them? Do I do it like normal fish?
    Thanks,
    ~Mudkipz

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

You can't buy live brine shrimp, you buy eggs, which you then hatch. When I raise brine shrimp to feed, I just put a tablespoon of salt and an eighth of a teaspoon of eggs in a 12 oz cup of water and feed an airstone through the hole in the lid.

24 hours later, give or take, I drain the shrimp out through a net lined with a coffee filter.

For what your suggesting, I think I would get a Sea Monkey replacement kit, since they're meant to survive more than a few days, or possibly browse YouTube, because there's all kinds of videos from people who have done advanced set ups.

3. AtomicMudkip Member Member

maggie thecat
    You might not be able to get them normally, but my LFS sells live brine shrimp in bags. I will probably do the air stone instead of the filter as it is quite strong. Thanks for the info on the salt. It may take a few tried to get the salinity levels right, but I'll get there in the end!
    ~Mudkipz

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Why don't you ask the lfs what specific gravity they keep them at then? You can then match it before putting in the shrimp.

5. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Ok I'll try that, I'll need to get a hydrometer for measuring the salinity.
    ~Mudkipz