Help Brine Shrimp Make No Sense

MileyMorkie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know how they work but after experimenting with these guys for like 3 months I still don't understand how to keep them alive. I will loop through questions I have asked before but some are altered with the experience I've had.

I have slightly mentioned this though I will be honest because why not. I have brine shrimp thriving in a tic tac container. The jar flopped but the eggs and shrimp in the tic tac container didn't die the next morning. I put more saltwater along with food in the jar and they randomly died compared to the tic tac container.
I set up a Sea Monkey container before I went to Ontario for about a week and when I came back randomly there's a shrimp in there. I only put in the step 1.
Don't bash me please about the tic tac container. I do silly things but I never thought brine shrimp would thrive in it. They are still alive in there.
So this concerns me about when I get fairy shrimp if they'll be just as random as brine shrimp.
I had better success with just light and time hatching them than all the tools recommended to hatch them. I fed them crushed flakes once and I'm not sure normal food it the best thing for filter feeders.

Do you guys have any tips to feed these guys along with what to be prepared for with fairy shrimp?
Should I use my freshwater aquarium water (and add salt to the amount I collect) to get more "food" for the shrimp? Have you guys had similar issues with brine shrimp? Can I put wood in a brine shrimp culture aquarium? Are there companies that sell brine shrimp eggs that hatch larger ones than the San Fransisco bay brand?

Please be respectful when replying.

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t have any tips, but step one actually has eggs in it, and step 2 has dye making it look “instant”

OP
MileyMorkie

MileyMorkie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Finatic005 said:
I don’t have any tips, but step one actually has eggs in it, and step 2 has dye making it look “instant”
OHHHHHHHHH. That explains some of the weird instructions such as the "magic crystals". I thought the step one was a powder conditioner and salt or the salt being in step two.

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MileyMorkie said:
OHHHHHHHHH. That explains some of the weird instructions such as the "magic crystals". I thought the step one was a powder conditioner and salt or the salt being in step two.
Lol. Step one is a conditioner as well as salt as well as eggs. Conditioner works instantly so chlorine doesn’t kill the eggs. Also try using distilled water. But still add step one for the salts. You can buy one of those tools that checks salinity and recreate that salinity in a ten gallon planted tank. Might be cool.

OP
MileyMorkie

MileyMorkie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Finatic005 said:
Lol. Step one is a conditioner as well as salt as well as eggs. Conditioner works instantly so chlorine doesn’t kill the eggs. Also try using distilled water. But still add step one for the salts. You can buy one of those tools that checks salinity and recreate that salinity in a ten gallon planted tank. Might be cool.
That makes sense. Thanks for the help!

coolusername00

Reaction score
I buy brine shrimp eggs from my lfs sometimes. The best way that works for me is to have a saltwater tank set up with RO water. Then get a brine shrimp hatchery and put it in the sw tank. The baby shrimp will eat crushed flakes.

I'm not exactly sure how to keep them alive long since they quickly become fish food.

OP
MileyMorkie

MileyMorkie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coolusername00 said:
I buy brine shrimp eggs from my lfs sometimes. The best way that works for me is to have a saltwater tank set up with RO water. Then get a brine shrimp hatchery and put it in the sw tank. The baby shrimp will eat crushed flakes.

I'm not exactly sure how to keep them alive long since they quickly become fish food.
I’m culturing them or raising them as mainly pets, hence the idea of fairy shrimp I have. I can’t seem to get a surviving batch in anything larger than 500mL. The crushed flakes randomly killed the batch in the largest container.

What brand of shrimp eggs are they? San Francisco Bay is a larger company that sells eggs but I found a video that states that they are quite small, you can see a little bit of size difference with the brand versus something like sea monkeys or aqua dragons.

Sheldon13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tried buying powdered spirulina, mixing it with water and squirting some of that I’m there for food? It might be a better route for filter feeders. It’s what I feed my daphnia.

New Threads