Brine shrimp for single aquarium?

Derek88242

I was wondering if it's possible to hatch live brine shrimp for a single community aquarium? I know its popular for fish breeders and aquarists who have many tanks but I'm curious if it's a good idea for a single tank. I have a 40g breeder heavily stocked with corydoras,guppies and tetras.

Flyfisha

100% yes you can. All of those species will eat baby brine that’s 48 hours old.
It requires 10 to 12 minutes per day rinsing the hatchery and adding new water salt and eggs.
You will need a strainer as well as the hatchery and air pump. There are hatcheries that come with a strainer and don’t need an air pump but I am not familiar with the cleaning etc of those.

zero smell from the brine unless you spill the old salt water.

Derek88242

A site I'm about to order dry fertilizer from has some brine shrimp kits I will look at. What is the strainer for? How long does the brine last after hatching and how do you store it? Also I don't plan on feeding brine everyday I was thinking 1-2 times per week is that fine?

Flyfisha

A link to the new style of hatchery that works without air and has a strainer come with the hatchery.

It’s necessary to remove the brine shrimp from the salt water. And to somehow leave the egg shells behind. Those are the necessary tasks.

The brine can be feed after 24 ish hours and stay alive for 3 or 4 days without food. After 4 days they are still alive but have eaten their egg sacks and are not a high protein meal anymore.

Feeding once or twice a week is great.

I really recommend life food cultures and brine shrimp is a good one to start with.

Convoluted77

Flyfisha said:
A link to the new style of hatchery that works without air and has a strainer come with the hatchery.

It’s necessary to remove the brine shrimp from the salt water. And to somehow leave the egg shells behind. Those are the necessary tasks.

The brine can be feed after 24 ish hours and stay alive for 3 or 4 days without food. After 4 days they are still alive but have eaten their egg sacks and are not a high protein meal anymore.

Feeding once or twice a week is great.

I really recommend life food cultures and brine shrimp is a good one to start with.
I have this little hatchery and it works surprisingly well for hatching bb in a small amount for a tank or two.i was a bit skeptical but it works as advertised.Light only enters right above the strainer so all the shrimps just swarm to that area and you just lift them right out.No need to worry about separating shells or anything.

Top Bottom