Brine Shrimp Feeding Help?

RoseyFlower10

I would like to know if any one has has an recommendations for feeding brine shrimp? I recently got some from my fish store and really want to start a nursery for my ember tetras and Pygmy corydoras to eat.

Flyfisha

To be clearRoseyFlower10 .
Do you want to raise brine shrimp to adulthood in a separate tank and harvest a few juveniles to feed fish.
OR
Do you want to feed the brine shrimp to your fish today?

RoseyFlower10

To be clearRoseyFlower10 .
Do you want to raise brine shrimp to adulthood in a separate tank and harvest a few juveniles to feed fish.
OR
Do you want to feed the brine shrimp to your fish today?
Which would you recommend?

I apologize I didn’t realize I got any replies

Flyfisha

Brine shrimp are very nutritious for the first 48 ish hours after they hatch when their egg sack is full. That is the best time to feed fish or fry. After the egg sack is used up a brine shrimp has very little nutritional value and is considered only as good as it’s stomach content or last meal . You might as well feed your fry the food adult brine shrimp eat ( they say)
No matter how many days old they do provide entertainment for a fish to hunt down live food.

Raising brine shrimp to adulthood is a fun and challenging project. I have done it a few times, but never really had a self sustaining populatio. Anything more than a few hundred shrimp (one meal ) requires multiple water changes in a spare aquarium. It’s a fun thing to do but it’s a waste of an aquarium and if it’s protein or enrichment you are after there are much better/ easier live food cultures.
White worms or grindle worms depending on the size of your fish are two excellent cultures.

Now you know adult brine shrimp are not very nutritious you may ask why shops sell live , freeze dried or frozen adult brine shrimp? And charge so much for them?

To hatch bb only requires table salt.
To grow them into adulthood requires marine aquarium salt .

e_watson09

Honestly, I'd recommend setting up a brine shrimp hatchery and hatching out what you need, feed it and then hatch more. Keeping them into adulthood requires maintenance and honestly isn't worth the trouble. I'd honestly argue if you're looking for adults its going to be more economical to just go to the fish store every few days and buy some from them. Unless you're talking a larger scale I can't see raising them to be worth the trouble.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
kasra
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views