Brine shrimp eggs and salt bad for fish?

TwiTch18
Howdy,
Just wondering if the brine shrimps eggs and aquarium salt will bother freshwater fish? (Platies in particular)

I do my best to hatch and seperate all of them with a small filter and rinse them out but it's near impossible to do 100% correctly. I'm new to fish keeping and I want to make sure that the few eggs and little bit of salt won't hurt the fish. It's a 35g tank and I only feed them brine once a week or so. They absolutely love them so I want to make sure it's fine.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance! :)

Betta'sAnonymous
Aquarium salt shouldn't have ill effect on the platies.

LowConductivity
I gave up on even rinsing them years ago. No ill effects, even with the sensitive babies.

3876T
TwiTch18 said:
Howdy,
Just wondering if the brine shrimps eggs and aquarium salt will bother freshwater fish? (Platies in particular)

I do my best to hatch and seperate all of them with a small filter and rinse them out but it's near impossible to do 100% correctly. I'm new to fish keeping and I want to make sure that the few eggs and little bit of salt won't hurt the fish. It's a 35g tank and I only feed them brine once a week or so. They absolutely love them so I want to make sure it's fine.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance! :)
U can hatch brine shrimps without giving them oxygen, take a container and then add some baking soda and rock/aquarium salt and then keep in sunlight for 24hours

This way ur artemia won't have a 100% hatch rate (obviously) but its still great and cheap :)

TwiTch18
LowConductivity said:
I gave up on even rinsing them years ago. No ill effects, even with the sensitive babies.
That's great to know I'm at least trying to dilute that brine water with tank water before feeding them. Not sure if it does anything but it makes me feel better haha
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Aquarium salt shouldn't have ill effect on the platies.

Flyfisha
TwiTch18,
A brine shrimp sieve will separate out the salty water. Having the right slope on the hatchery and buying a good brand of eggs will make a difference in the unhatched rate. Some brands of eggs will float when not hatched as will the shells. Other brands a lot of the shells sink.
With shells that sink you are relying on the sloping sides of the hatchery to catch the shells.

To answer your question.
My understanding is unhatched eggs and shells are to be avoided with fry. I believe they can block the stomach,( intestinal tract ) , anus , but only in tiny tiny fry probably not live bearers at a few weeks old?

The salt water will in time raise the GH . Not a bad thing for live bearers but still to be avoided. The poopy saltwater from the brine shrimp that are up to 48 hours old I have never tested but it must have some ammonia?

Top Bottom