Brine Kills?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AnthonyC4C, Jan 8, 2013.

1. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

I was talking to a buddy who wanted me to steer clear of live brine for my angels, saying that the shells on the brine are like steel and they can't digest it and it will just stay in their stomach or clog them but either way feeding them live brine will kill them...

Can anyone clear this up for me because, I just ordered brine eggs...Thank You!

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I have never read anything that says that brine shrimp are bad for angels. I even just googled it and didn't see anything negative there. But to be on the safe side, better wait until someone with more angelfish experience comes along. I was just getting ready to set my little hatchery up for my shrimp to feed my angels. I think I'll wait also.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Are you hatching the brine shrimp eggs or are you feeding them the eggs?

Feeding hatched brine shrimps is totally safe to Angels and to any fish. In fact, a lot of Angelfish breeders feed Angel frys BBS.

4. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

My goal was to feed them live brine, so I ordered the eggs to hatch.

5. AmazonPassion

Then you shouldn't have a problem with BBS.

6. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

Thank you :)

Man...I don't like second guessing myself because someone plants garbage info in my head Grrrr...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  7. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

It's the brine shrimp egg shells that fry can't digest. You throw that away with the water once the nauplii have hatched.

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Almost every Angelfish breeder feed freshly hatched brine shrimp to their baby Angels. People have been breeding Angels at home since the 50's. If brine shrimp was that bad, I don't think we would have been using them for 60 years.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

Well...My angels are less than a year but they aren't fry...I just wanted to give them a treat :)

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

11. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

so letting them grow older is fine or what?

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

It's hard to grow out brine shrimp. They also lose most of their nutrients in the first couple days.

13. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

So what is good and alive to feed my Angels that they would like because they sure love the freeze dried shrimp but again I dont think it would be as satisfying to them as something alive.

14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

You can cut up earth worms and feed them that. livebearer fry would also go well. Something great to feed them, although it isn't alive is Repashy gel foods. It's good stuff and easy to make. My fish have all learned to love it.

15. AmazonPassion

Some Angel keepers feed their Angels fish fry as treats once in a while.

You can also buy live adult brine shrimp from the LFS.

16. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

welp none around here =*(

17. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Mine occasionally get swordtail or molly fry. They like it a lot.

18. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

How about frozen blood worms or mysis shrimp? PetSmart and Petco sells them. They also sell adult frozen brine shrimp. Not alive but still fresh.

19. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

Thanks...

20. grfresconero

grfresconeroValued MemberMember

I have`nt got angels but a bala shark ,placostomus large.Also had tinfoil barb large and i feed them as treat`s fly larvae that i bought at the local fishing store they love it.Got to clean it first.
    Ask first if it`s o.k.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice