Brine & Fairy Shrimp

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey I’m getting both varieties the salt water and fresh water one, anyone have any tips on caring for them? I plan to use a two litre bottle for hatching them. Can they breed once they reach maturity inside there? Any info is welcomed thanks!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to raise brine shrimp in a glass jar of salt water aerated with an airstone. But I always fed them off within a couple of days.

There are loads of videos on youtube showing people's pop bottle hatcheries and grow out setups.

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I raise fairy shrimp on a fairly regular basis - usually use a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank with sand & leaf litter as substrate. I keep the water level fairly low at first. I usually introduce rotifers and other microscopics prior to hatching. They also usually fare well when fed spirulina

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keystone said:
I raise fairy shrimp on a fairly regular basis - usually use a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank with sand & leaf litter as substrate. I keep the water level fairly low at first. I usually introduce rotifers and other microscopics prior to hatching. They also usually fare well when fed spirulina
Oh wow! So is it true they just lay eggs which rest down the bottom of the tank? How do you do water changes without siphoning them out? That is really cool I was wondering if I could crush up algae pellets really finely and feed that to them if not I have spiraling and yeast at hand. Since fairy shrimp are freshwater I can keep some
Sorta filter right? Or will that suck them up

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I treat my vernal tanks just like vernal pools - unheated & unfiltered. As long as the culture is up & running healthy I just top off the water as it evaporates. When they run their course and the season ends I let the tanks dry out again - some species may give you 2 or 3 generations, but most will only be 1 and the eggs will need to be dried out before they will hatch.

I guess a smaller sponge filter may be workable

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keystone said:
I treat my vernal tanks just like vernal pools - unheated & unfiltered. As long as the culture is up & running healthy I just top off the water as it evaporates. When they run their course and the season ends I let the tanks dry out again - some species may give you 2 or 3 generations, but most will only be 1 and the eggs will need to be dried out before they will hatch.

I guess a smaller sponge filter may be workable
Wow that is great info thanks, yeah i have the Thailand species of fairy shrimp which grow rather big and the seller states it yields more than the original amount you place in. Can I place it in indirect sunlight? Thanks for the help I plan to place a piece of cycled sponge attached to an air stone as a cheap DIY filter thing.

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never tried hatching any with strictly indirect light, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Except for the desert ones, most vernal pools are at least partially under tree cover and can't get direct sunlight all day long.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom