Bright Staurogyne Repens & Mini Anubis Help

1. K

Kuzan Initiate Member

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I can get some help understanding what deficiency I'm facing with my anubis and repens despite the taiwan moss and the water sprite I have in my 50 gallon doing incredible. Before I bought the plants, they were a good dark green color but when the new ones pop out, they became bright but with dark green veins within them. I tried looking up myself and tried to fix the problem but to no avail. Some people say its a magnesium problem, other say it's a sulfur or nitrogen problem.

Currently I'm dosing Thrive + and Seachem equilibrium for my RO water.

Back then
    I tried mixing epsom salt, seachem iron, flourish, potassium, little bit of nitrogen still nothing.

Any help is much appreciated. Really any help is great because every time I post something, it goes unnoticed despite the next dude with 20+ replies x_x

IMG_8098.JPG
    IMG_8097.JPG

2. q

qldmick Initiate Member

should Anubis really be buried in the soil?

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Good catch, the only thing I know that's an issue is that the rhizome of the anubias cannot be buried in the soil. If it's buried, it will start to die after about a month or so. The rhizome has to be placed above the soil, but the roots can still go down into it.
    Edit: nice tank btw, love the stones with those plants

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

For me, it was a magnesium problem... but for you, it may be in conjuction with a calcium problem as well...

Ill let others comment though.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Definitely magnesium, but since you're using RO possibly calcium as well.
    Can you test for your GH? You may not be remineralizing enough, for a planted tank I would aim for a GH of at least 5.

6. SeattleRoy

SeattleRoy Well Known Member Member

Hi @Kuzan

As stated above, remove the rhizome of the Anubias from the substrate and attach it to hardscape; I use Superglue Gel because it doesn't run like regular Superglue.

The symptoms on the older leaves would suggest a magnesium deficiency however I don't believe that is the case. Why? Because the newer leaves also display the interveinal chlorosis (green veins; lighter interveinal areas). This would indicate an iron deficiency either due to insufficient iron being dosed or a pH so high that the iron being dosed is unavailable to the plants. The reason the older leaves also display the interveinal chlorosis is likely because this issue has continued for some time. Because iron is an immobile nutrient the plant cannot move it from one area of the plant to areas in greater need like new growth.

If your pH is less than 7.0 then most any iron supplement should resolve the issue, if your pH is greater than 7.0 I suggest a ferrous gluconate iron supplement such as Seachem Flourish Iron. Dose per the instructions on the bottle for two weeks and watch your new leaves as they emerge; the existing leaves will not change. The new leaves should emerge greener, with less (or hopefully none) of the interveinal chlorosis. Please provide feedback as things progress; two weeks after your start dosing we will evaluate the results.

7. OP
    OP
    K

Kuzan Initiate Member

That's what I thought but its been growing for over 6 months

8. OP
    OP
    K

Kuzan Initiate Member

Thanks, but I had these Anubis buried for at least 6 month+ with no signs losing leaves other than the color

9. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

You can get away with it as long as the rhizome is above the substrate. In fact I hate the look of them attached to harscape and always plant them in the substrate.

10. OP
    OP
    K

Kuzan Initiate Member

Thanks for the help! If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes.

11. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

What lighting are you using? Repens need bright light of the correct spectrum.