Bright Colored Fish For 40 Gallon Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 619DevSD, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 619DevSDNew MemberMember

Finally getting my 40gal. Up and running (for a couple of days now) and since transferring all my fish from the 10 gal. into the 40gal. it's looking a little scarce in there. I have 7 black Mollie fry, 1 medium pleco, 4 small spotted Mollie ( came from a white, and a black Mollie that I don't have anymore) and the parent Mollie that had the fry that I got now. Oh and 2 guppies.
    So my question is this: what bright colored fish can I safely add tho the tank? I WANT to add about 8-12 or 3-4 of different breeds. Any body got suggestions? Thank you in advance

2. ZentuckyfriedchickenWell Known MemberMember

Those live bearers will fill up your tank in a few months. Don’t worry about it being empty long... Also make sure to cover the filter intake with a sponge. You could buy an angel to keep the fry in check. But the angel might eat the guppy whole when it matures.

3. 619DevSDNew MemberMember

Oh wow, I did not know angelfish and guppies were like that! And I think I have enough room for a few more colorful ones, just don't want more mollies or guppies in there

4. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Kind of a crazy idea that would need further research but you could look into just keeping the Mollies and getting Firemouth cichlids. Both species inhabit Mexico so you could even attempt to do some sort of Mexican/Central American biotope. Firemouths shouldnt be able to eat adult mollies and they should be able to eat the fry.

5. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Yucatan, you can see the firemouth cichlids and huge mollies at the top. That thing is beatiful. I dont know how big your current Mollies are but you can look around and find some huge Mollies. Depending on where you live you may even be able to get sail fin mollies altough thats a different story hehe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice