Breeding?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi can someone plz explain breeding guppies please? I was thinking about it last night and was wondering how many tanks etc. would i need and what size? I don't know if i will acctualy breed guppies, but it was just something that came to my head when i was watching Bruno (my guppie) last night and thought maybe that could be a nice thing to do .

I have a lot of exams at the moment but maybe after them i might consider it.

I was thinking about it because Bruno seems very lonely in the tank by himself. Out of 6 he is the only one that survived and he is very healthy,but he only ever swimms around when there is someone in the room watching him. He loves company but for some reason, any fish that has ever shared the tank with him so far has died. :-\ I just wish he had some company in the tank, and i thought of females and then i'd get lots of little guppies too!! ;D

I'll stop rambling on now!! lol

Thanks

Gwenz

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
All you need to do to get guppies to breed is put females and males together and shortly after, they will be breeding. The general rule of thumb is to have 2 female guppies for every 1 male guppy, and depending on the male, you will have guppy fry in no time if the water quality is suitable for breeding.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, it depends. You could only use one tank and just see if they'll surive or 2 tanks (one for the fry-grow-out). Some people say you should let the female rest in a separate tank after it gives birth but some don't so it's really up to you...I guess.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok thanks! If i was to just see how many survived, how big should the tank be? and would i need special plants for them to hide in?

And what about if i had a seperate tank, like a nursery, how big would that have to be?

Thanks again!

Gwenz

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you want to hide the fry, you will probably want to get some breeding grass, real or artificial so the babies can hide in there. I would put them in a separate tank, just be prepared to have anywhere from 6 to sometimes upwards of 70 fry. My guppy last time had about 60 fry and that has been her consistent amount for the last couple times.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cool! thanks.

sorry to keep asking, but what size tanks would i need?

thnks

Gwenz

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
For the guppies, I would say at least 10 gallons, depending how many are in each. Generally 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. For the fry, I don't know how many you want to keep. If you want to keep them all I would say another 10 gallon, otherwise you could probably do a 5 gallon if you don't want to keep them all.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
k thank you!

Gwenz ;D

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
K i got some ideas now. next plan is to persuade mum and dad to let me have another tank! ;D And find out where to put it. ???

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom