Breeding

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok I have 2 convicts, a male and a female.
I have 2 firemouths, I think 1 male and 1 female.
I also have to green terrors, I don't know what sex.

But here is my question, the male convict just reached sexual maturity and if the have babies in the tank, will I have to remove them or will they be ok with the other fish?

allamericangirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
it is best to leave them in until the babies are big enough so as not to kill them when you try to remove them. the parents will guard the fry (leave them alone if you see this). if you see your other fish trying eat the fry, take the fry out. otherwise, leave them in.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your other fish are predators & if they get the chance they will definitley take the opportunity to have a snack. Cons are highly aggressive & defensive when they breed though so that might be enough to protect the fry, at least for a little while.

The biggest problem I see is that the tank is massively over stocked. Green Terrors get almost as big as Oscars & have the same tank requirements (55gal minimum for 1 Green Terror). The Firemouths will not be aggressive enough to deal with teh Cons when they are breeding. I think you need to get 150gal+ tank to put the Oscar & the Green Terrors into. If you get 180gal you could probably put all but the Cons in there so long as you have excellent filtration & the decor is laid out to provide territories for the fish. If the Green Terrors breed they will probably kill everything else in the tank. They are super aggressive when they breed & they will get to a size that will cause serious damage to any fish they are housed with.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with nutter...even as the fish grow up, and dont spawn, I think your firemouths and pictus will be terrorized by the gt's and cons in that size tank....

tony

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The firemouths are BY FAR the dominant fish in the tank. And as for overstocking, yes I know, but my dad insisted. But don't worry too much, we will eventually upgrade once the fish get bigger(maybe to a 125). And the Oscar is not going in the 55g? I don't know where that came from?

The fish get along great and the cons and green terrors are not aggressive at all. The firemouths bully them around if anything. Each fish has its own personality and I seem to have gotten peaceful cons and terrors. Besides south american cichlids aren't even half as aggresive as they are cracked up to be. But yes we will be upgrading to accommodate the growing fish.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Oscar going to a 55gal came from your signature.
"1 Albino Oscar"
*will be moving to a seperate 55g when he grow up
I also mis read your signature though & didn't see the Oscar is in a 20gal of it's own.

As for the Firemouths dominating the Terrors, that is not going to last. If the Terrors turn out to be two females that are fairly placid then the Firemouths might end up on equal footing with them, if your lucky. If it is two males, one will kill the other & then set about killing everything else in the tank most likely. If it is a breeding pair, they will kill everything else in the tank. Things might be going smoothly now while all your fish are small & not mature but once they do reach a decent size & sexual maturity, you are going to have a war zone on your hands. I've had heaps of people tell me thier Green Terrors are peacefull. Without fail the ones that don't heed my warnings about the Green Terrors temperament come to me at a later date wondering why thier Green Terror has beaten up or killed everything in thier tanks. You can say South American cichlids are not as aggressive as they are made out to be but I think you will discover differently once the fish are mature. They have thier reputation for a reason.

Your choice though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom