Breeding

jaxonfish04

Hi Aquarium Forum! I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 Multis (one male and two female) and they are so shy. I’ve had them for a couple weeks now, and whenever I come near the tank they dart back into their shells or cave. Is there anything I can do to help bring them out a little more? Also, I started this tank as a breeding project and they haven’t had any fry yet. How long does it usually take for the first spawn? I have plenty of shells and they have dug and made their own nests but still no fry. I’ve been feeding Hikari micro pellets twice a day and frozen bribe shrimp every once and a while. Any suggestions?

Ghelfaire

Are you 100% of the genders? Are you making sure the food is getting in the shells? The babies dont come out to eat, the food has to go to them. You may just not be seeing them.
Also what are your water parameters/ water change schedule?
A 20 gallon long would be better. Once they start breeding you will have a lot of fish.

jaxonfish04

Ghelfaire said:
Are you 100% of the genders? Are you making sure the food is getting in the shells? The babies dont come out to eat, the food has to go to them. You may just not be seeing them.
Also what are your water parameters/ water change schedule?
A 20 gallon long would be better. Once they start breeding you will have a lot of fish.
I’m not a 100% sure but I kinda think I have the genders right because the people at the fish store took forever when trying to get exactly a male and two females and the one I think is a male is a lot bigger. When I drop food into the shells should it be the same type of food or should I try to put something smaller like First Bites in there?
I change the water about every 4 days and my ph is around 8.0 which is pretty high.

Ghelfaire

Smaller foods would be better. I would observe the shell and if you can see any little fry.
Your ph is fine for shell dwellers. What are your other parameters like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

jaxonfish04

Ghelfaire said:
Smaller foods would be better. I would observe the shell and if you can see any little fry.
Your ph is fine for shell dwellers. What are your other parameters like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
I just did used the API master test kit and my ammonia was at 0 and on the tetra easy strips my nitrite and nitrate were also at 0 so I don’t think that is the problem. I think I just need to feed into the shells more maybe.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom