breeding

1. fishfreak Member Member

Does a pregnant female guppy show any kind of signs before she gives birth?, Could I put her in a breeding earlier than expect?, will she go in stress after a day or two?

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

The female guppy may get very still before dropping the babies. You can put her in the breeder box/net a week before you expect birth. It's hard to say whether or not she will go into stress. They all react differently.

If you have reservations about using the breeder box/net, another option is to use a tank separator and place the female guppy on one half of the tank. Place some breeder grass for the babies to go into on the same side of the tank. The baby guppies will hide in the breeder grass. Net the babies and put them into the breeder box and then remove the tank separator. This may be less stressful for the female since she would have more space than if you were to put her into a breeder box. I've had success using both methods.

Let us know how it goes.

3. fishfreak Member Member

Thanks for the help, I put my pregant female guppy in the breeders net on sunday night and then she the next moring she had 21 of them. :)

4. ben Initiate Member

hi there, how can i tell my red platy is pregnet?

5. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

If you notice the belly getting larger and you notice a dark area getting larger in front of the anal fin (vent area). This is called the gravid spot.

6. beckyboox3 Initiate Member

How long does it take to determine that a female is pregnant. Will she show days after mating or is it weeks? ???

7. fletch Member Member

Im not sure about when you can tell platies are pregnant. But if you watch the dark spot on the back of the silver sack inside a guppy, it will start to grow, showing she is pregnant. If you keep watching, you should notice a change in size of the dark patch in a few days. for her belly to grow it will probably be 2-3 weeks.

8. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hey there,
    my little lady platy is pregnant and I'm sure she's about to pop - I cant see any darkness around her belly but she's very round, eating a fair bit more and she's got that "pregnant waddle". Her scales have sort of popped out (not off tho!) because she's so fat! :eek:
    I'm looking forward to seeing the babies.. ;D

9. fletch Member Member

Miss mouse: Im not sure if you should be able to see dark patches on platties but sounds like shes pretty far down the road anyway.