Breeding wcmm

abbytherookiehuman
I'm having some trouble with knowing what's going on in my fry/ breeding tanks.
A few months ago I bought 6 or 7 wcmms for my pond. Shortly afterwards I found it had been teeming with planaria (I assume they hitchhiked with the fish) but the flatworms are known to eat fish eggs (so I've read)
While I was working out how I should go about treating the planaria I chose a breeding pair and conditioned them for breeding. The next day the fish went back into the pond and I went on holidays. Three weeks later I saw some tiny little fry and immediately began feeding them. They now eat (or at least try to) live daphnia amongst other basic foods.
I tried to breed again and I thought I had been successful until I saw planaria in the tank with the eggs and full on decontaminated the whole tank. I drained it, bleached the tank and everything in it and set it up again to cycle for another try. My third try was about a week or two ago but I've never seen eggs or fry. At first I figured they were just small or amongst the java moss. How big are the eggs? And how big are new born fry? Is it possible they're there and I just can't see them?

Mr. Kgnao
A white cloud egg is small, generally the same size as most of the eggs fish that size produce, but still visible to the naked eye. The fry are absolutely microscopic though, more or less just a dash of iridescence where their eye is.

abbytherookiehuman
Mr. Kgnao said:
A white cloud egg is small, generally the same size as most of the eggs fish that size produce, but still visible to the naked eye. The fry are absolutely microscopic though, more or less just a dash of iridescence where their eye is.
So does that mean they could be there I just can't see them?

Mr. Kgnao
They're not exactly easy to see, so it's a definite possibility, but if you're really looking for them, and you can't find them, they might just not be there. I guess it depends on what the tank looks like, if there are really dense patches of floating plants, or a big pile of rocks, it's more likely that there are fry in there you can't see, than if it's a bare bottom with a clump of java moss.

Either way, patience is a virtue.

abbytherookiehuman
Mr. Kgnao said:
They're not exactly easy to see, so it's a definite possibility, but if you're really looking for them, and you can't find them, they might just not be there. I guess it depends on what the tank looks like, if there are really dense patches of floating plants, or a big pile of rocks, it's more likely that there are fry in there you can't see, than if it's a bare bottom with a clump of java moss.

Either way, patience is a virtue.
The tank that successfully bred them has river gravel, a spider plant some big rocks and abunch of java fern and some Monte Carlo. The current tank that possibly has fry is bare bottom with a clump of java fern and a couple bigger rocks in the corner

Mr. Kgnao
Then you'd probably be able to see them if you looked hard enough, especially if the tank has a dark background. If not, sometimes it's easier to see them looking down from the surface of the water.

abbytherookiehuman
Mr. Kgnao said:
Then you'd probably be able to see them if you looked hard enough, especially if the tank has a dark background. If not, sometimes it's easier to see them looking down from the surface of the water.
Ok thank you. If they aren't there I think I'll try one last time

Top Bottom